- You can call me The Calculator. I'm just going to call you dead.
- -- The Calculator src
Noah Kuttler, also known as the Calculator, began his criminal career by crossing the country and getting into fights with various superheroes. He would then press a button on his special costume that would analyze and record their battle tactics, ensuring he couldn't be beaten again by the hero that just defeated him. He battled and was defeated by the Atom, Black Canary, Green Arrow, The Elongated Man, Batman, and Air Wave. He ended up in prison serving nine consecutive life terms.
Calculator escaped from prison and decided to reinvent himself. Having heard how a friend overheard Black Canary talking to herself during a fight and hearing tales about Oracle, the Calculator turned himself into an Oracle for supervillains. Being friends with several villains, he began to get people jobs and soon created a large network of information and connections. He tipped Bolt off about a crate two young hoodlums were selling, containing Lex Luthor's Warsuit. Unfortunately, the hoods shot and nearly killed Bolt. He also helped Captain Boomerang reunite with his son, Owen Mercer. He kept an eye on the news surrounding the mysterious death of Sue Dibny and the near death of Jean Loring. When Batman suspected Calculator was responsible, he dodged the Dark Knight. He finally gave Boomerang a job to kill Jack Drake. The job went sour and both Boomerang and Drake were killed. Calculator later claimed the order for the job was made anonymously and he had no idea Drake would be armed.
When word of the mind wipes performed by the Justice League of America got out, the Calculator joined the inner circle of the newest Secret Society of Super-Villains. He recruited Mr. Freeze and Fadeaway Man into the group and kept tabs on various activities the Society was involved in. He has kept track of Supergirl since she started her career. He tracked Blue Beetle as the hero investigated the mysterious happenings with his company. Lately, the Calculator tried to solve the mystery of Oracle's identity but eventual gave up.
It has been revealed to others that the Lex Luthor who is part of the Society is in fact Alexander Luthor of Earth-Three. Calculator has been seen working with both Alex and the Lex Luthor of mainstream Earth. It is unknown if he just doesn't know both are separate people or if he's playing both sides. In any event, Calculator did have Luthor tested for superhuman powers. The results of those tests are unknown, but whatever they were, Calculator continued to act as one of the inner circle in the Society. When the Society organized a worldwide prison break, he coordinated the whole thing. Eventually, the Society launched a massive assault on Metropolis. The attack was repulsed by an army of superheroes. Calculator later joined Libra's Secret Society of Super-Villains. Libra believed Calculator had betrayed the society and had been helping superheroes to attack Kalibak. But the traitor was actually Lex Luthor. Calculator was hung, yet kept alive, forever protesting his innocence. Luthor and Doctor Sivana then attacked Libra, possibly killing him. Calculator was then freed by Luthor.
After retrieving the stolen information, Calculator was once again confronted by Oracle and defeated in the virtual world. In the real world, he took the fragments of the Anti-Life Equation to the hospital, hoping to cure his daughter, Wendy. However, Oracle was waiting for him and Wendy recovered without the need of the fragments. The police arrived soon and arrested Calculator for the murder of Oracle's agents.
- Calculator Uniform: (formerly) Costume equipped with a high-powered computer capable of analyzing an opponent's battle tactics and predict their actions. Projector in the helmet is capable of materializing solid objects from an unknown energy source. Calculator no longer uses this battlesuit and its whereabouts are unknown save for the headpiece, which Catwoman retrieved for him.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Noah used the online screen name and avatar named Babbage after Charles Babbage, the inventor of the Calculator.
- 100 Appearances of Noah Kuttler (New Earth)
- 14 Images featuring Noah Kuttler (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Noah Kuttler (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Noah Kuttler (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."
|Birds of Prey Villain(s)|
Secret Society of Super-Villains member