Copy Edit Needed
- Oh, people die for all kinds of ridiculous reasons - why not for art?
- -- Norman Rotrig src
Norman's mother died at his birth. His father, a mad artist, took the baby and made him into an "artwork" by cutting his lips away and making him "smile" forever. As an adult, Norman took revenge on his father by cutting him into pieces and putting them in glass boxes, all while keeping him alive and letting him watch a video. Meanwhile, Batman, Robin and Nightrunner were trying to find Rotrig. To force the three heroes look for him, he freed four of Paris' craziest villains from prison, taking a gas bomb in front of his head that makes him look like "The son of the man".
- This character's alias is a reference to the 1928 silent film, The Man Who Laughs, which is often cited as an inspiration for the Joker. "Norman Rotrig" is an anagram of "Grant Morrison", the original writer of the Batman and Robin series. The Man Who Laughs, or "L'homme qui rit" in french, was originally a philosophic novel written by Victor Hugo.
- 1 Appearances of Norman Rotrig (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Norman Rotrig (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Norman Rotrig (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Norman Rotrig (New Earth)