Copy Edit Needed
Originally, the wizard Shazam was called Shazamo. He was a powerful wizard and led a pantheon of heroes whose initials formed its name: Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury and Oggar. However, power has corrupted Oggar, who was a former pupil of Shazamo. There are about 3000 years ago, he simply refused an order from Shazamo to go help a small nation that was being invaded by a tyrant.
Oggar stated that Shazamo was getting old, and that he himself should lead his Pantheon. After engaging in combat with Shazamo, he could not counter the wizard's power. After his rebellion, the wizard Shazamo cursed Oggar with cloven hooves, condemned him to live among mortals, and blew off the "O" from his own name (even breaking the letter out of his seat, in shame). Before going away, Oggar yet remained close to the gates of the Shazamo (now Shazam) temple, and could listen his prophecy: In the twentieth century, the wizard would die, and would have a successor named Billy Batson. Billy was destined to become Captain Marvel, and have assembled itself the power to each of the heroes who remained at the Pantheon. Oggar thought good idea to wait until the twentieth century when there was only Captain Marvel, not seven enemies to defeat. Meanwhile, shortly after his rebellion, in the mortal world, Oggar tried to seduce the beautiful Circe to be his queen when conquering the world, to which she refused. Oggar tried to avenge himself, but his magic did not work harm on women. Then he thought well, and gave her a gift, instead, made her immortal. However, this does not diminish its aging, and after about 200 years, she was still alive, but terribly ugly and wrinkled, which made her create a mortal hatred of all men, who now had a horror of his face. She learned witchcraft and how to turn men into animals.
Oggar returned in the 20th Century and battled Captain Marvel as he tried to recruit people to the Cult of the Curse. If they left they were driven mad. However, after some battles against Marvel, he finally reencountered Circe in an island, who turned him into a boar. In this form he fell into a precipice and was thought dead. However he was able to back to normal form after years with his magic and joined the Monster Society of Evil.
- Immortality: Oggar can't age or die; even while being transformed in a boar, he was still immortal.
- Cloven feet give to Oggar talent with mountaineering.
- Vulnerability to Magic: Oggar is vulnerable to magic transformation spells.
- Single Target: Each spell could only be used once against the same person.
- Female Limitation: Oggar cannot use his magical power to harm females.
- He was a major recurring enemy of the Marvels in the DC Comics stories published before the continuity-resetting Crisis on Infinite Earths miniseries in 1985.
- Oggar is also known as Oggar the Accursed and the World's Mightiest Immortal.
- 9 Appearances of Oggar (Earth-S)
- 4 Images featuring Oggar (Earth-S)
- Quotations by or about Oggar (Earth-S)
- Character Gallery: Oggar (Earth-S)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Captain Marvel, the Wizard Shazam, or any of the extended members of the Marvel Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Marvel Family Villains."