The Omega Men are a team of extra-terrestrial freedom fighters who operate in the Vega system, one of the most dangerous sectors of the universe. They are the combined forces of rebels from several planets, who have joined together to fight tyranny and oppression. This has made them an extremely large number of enemies, and the group is frequently on the move and battling for their lives against a number of alien threats. They were founded by team leaders Primus and Tigorr.
After appearances in Green Lantern, Action Comics and The New Teen Titans, the Omega Men were featured in their own comics series which ran for 38 issues from April 1983 to May 1986. During its run, writer Roger Slifer and artist Keith Giffen created the mercenary anti-hero Lobo. Later creators included writers Doug Moench and Todd Klein (who also lettered later issues in the run), artists Tod Smith, Shawn McManus and Alex Nino, and inkers Mike DeCarlo, Jim McDermott and Greg Theakston. Members of the Omega Men have most recently appeared in the 2004 eight-issue Adam Strange limited series, as well as the 2005 Infinite Crisis lead-in 6-issue limited series, Rann/Thanagar War. In 2006, the Omega Men received their own six-issue miniseries. They are currently featured in the ongoing R.E.B.E.L.S. series.
Fictional team history
The Omega Men hail from the Vegan star system, a star system with twenty-five habitable planets, which as of the early 1980s had been ruled for millennia by the Citadel, a race of warriors cloned from the First Citadellian, the demi-godlike son of X'Hal.
The Psions also accidentally created the goddess X'Hal by mutating an Okaaran woman who gave birth to twin sons Lambien and the First Citadellian. Her evil son, the nameless "First Citadellian," would turn the peaceful Okaarans into the Warlords of Okaara, and later clone the Citadellian race from his own cells. The Psions also accidentally created Nimbus when they separated him from his Branx host.
The Citadellians established a tyrannical regime based in a fortress moon known as the Citadel. The Citadel then set about to conquer the younger races of Vega. Originally, there were only two races in the Vegan star system, the primitive Branx and the warlike Okaarans, but the Psions used Okaaran DNA to create the other twenty-three races of Vega such as the Tamaraneans, Euphorixians, Aelloans, Karnans, and the Changralyns.
The Omega Men were assembled as a group of renegades and representatives of conquered Vegan worlds to fight Citadellian aggression. Prior to the events of Infinite Crisis, the team was based on the planet Kuraq. The Omega Men are important peacekeepers in their sector because the Green Lantern Corps is not allowed into Vegan space, due to a long standing agreement between the Guardians of the Universe and the Spider Guild.
Holy anachronisms, Batman!
This article is in need of updated information.
- Primus (Pren, a telepath and telekinetic, died during Invasion storyline, Planet: Euphorix)
- Kalista (widow of Primus, sorceress, Planet: Euphorix)
- Tigorr (Taghurrhu, last of his kind, Planet: Karna)
- Broot (super strong and invulnerable, born of a pacifist society, Planet: Changralyn)
- Nimbus (disembodied spirit of a Branx Warrior, later elevated to godhood, Planet: Emana Branx)
- Harpis (sister of Demonia, mutated by Psions, Planet: Aello)
- Demonia (sister of Harpis, mutated by Psions, betrayed the team, Planet: Aello)
- Felicity (last female of Tigorr's species, died during Invasion storyline, Planet: Karna)
- Doc (cyborg doctor, Planet: Aello)
- Shlagen (team mechanic, Planet: Slagg)
- Elu (energy being, Planet: Rogue)
- Darkfire (Ryand'r, brother of Starfire, Planet: Old Tamaran)
- Auron (Lambien of Okaara, son of the goddess X'hal, godlike energy powers, Planet: Okaara)
- Green Man (ex Green Lantern, Planet: Uxor)
- Artin (artificial intelligence created by the Psions who holds a recording of Primus' brain in his memory)
- Rynoc (male, Planet: Old Tamaran)
- Zirral (female, Planet: Old Tamaran)
- Ynda (Kalista's cousin, died during Invasion, Planet: Euphorix)
- Oho-Besh (a priest, Planet: Changralyn)
- Uhlan (a Gordanian, Planet: Karna)
- Lianna (a Zamaron/Oan hybrid, Planet: Oa)
Equipment: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Originally, Marv Wolfman conceived the Omega Men as a band of ghosts with super-powers named the Outcasts. After several revisions, the team was renamed the Omega Men, and they became aliens instead of ghosts. 
- No trivia.
- 92 Appearances of Omega Men
- 20 Images that include Omega Men
- Team Gallery: Omega Men
- Fan-Art Gallery: Omega Men
Links and References
- Omega Men at Cosmic Teams
- Omega Men at the DCU Guide
- A history of the Vegan star system at Titans Tower
- An index of the Omega Men series
This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.