Opal City was founded in 1864 by Burnley Ellsworth after he amassed a fortune from his mining operation in Australia. With this in mind he named the the city after the little gem stone that had brought him such prosperity.
By 1882 at least three streets of Opal City had become a bustling built up area that some at the time compared to the streets of Paris. This was in part due to a French family, the Benoits, who had also made it rich in mining and had been invited by Burnley Elliworth himself.
Opal is particularly notable for several aspects of its architectural style, which is influenced by its history dating back to early Puritan settlements on the eastern shores of North America under the name "Port o'Souls."
Points of Interest
Streets and Highways
- The Grail (Retirement Community)
- Scalphunter (Deceased)
- Starman - Theodore Knight (Deceased)
- Starman - Mikaal Tomas (Semi-retired)
- Starman - David Knight (Deceased)
- Starman - Jack Knight (Retired)
- Starman - Thom Kallor
- Black Condor - Ryan Kendall (Deceased)
- Phantom Lady - Sandra Knight (Deceased)
- Though not specified, consumption of Absinthe may still be legal within Opal City even though it was banned in the United States in 1912.
- ↑ Starman (Volume 2) #0
- ↑ Recent issues of the current Justice League of America series, specifically the "Crisis of Conscience" arc, have explicitly established Opal City as being located in Maryland, per Robinson's longstanding opinions on the subject in various interviews with fans.
- ↑ Starman (Volume 2) #14