- I suppose it's true what they say. Society is to blame. High society.
- -- Penguin src
Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot was a Gotham kingpin who used his affluent status for the various crimes he committed. He was known as a "gentleman of crime" executing them with class and elegance, along with bird-related themes. Unlike most Batman rogues, the Penguin was sane and in complete control of his actions. He later nestled himself down at the Iceberg Lounge, a legitimate club, but kept a shady business in the back room. He has had dealings with almost all of Batman's enemies.
Penguin was first confronted by Batman during his attempt to steal a valuable relic. Batman located his hideout and Penguin used some toxin to put Batman out of action. After being rescued by some kids, Batman recovered and Penguin followed them to the kids' home, where he fough Batman but was ultimately defeated and sent to jail.
- Trick Umbrellas: The Penguin wielded a variety of trick umbrellas, with knives, guns, and/or gas dispensers concealed in them.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe and is an adaptation of Penguin. The original character was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and first appeared in Detective Comics #58.
- Penguin was voiced by Paul Williams for all appearances except Mystery of the Batwoman, where David Ogden Stiers took over the role.
- Penguin had a yellow limousine that was usually driven by Eagleton.
- Penguin has many henchmen who he has named after birds. These names include Jay, Raven, Eagleton, Falcone, Sheldrake, Jay (female), Raven (female) and Lark.
- 44 Appearances of Oswald Cobblepot (DCAU)
- 8 Images featuring Oswald Cobblepot (DCAU)
- 6 Quotations by or about Oswald Cobblepot (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Oswald Cobblepot (DCAU)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."