|Real Name||Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot|
|Relatives||Sir Nigel Cobblepot (ancestor, deceased); Nathan Cobblepot (ancestor, deceased); Theodore Cobblepot (great grandfather, deceased); Tucker Cobblepot (father, deceased); Miranda Cobblepot (mother, deceased)|
|Affiliation||Gotham Organized Crime; Injustice League, Suicide Squad, the Outsiders, Penitente Cartel, Secret Society of Super-Villains|
|Base Of Operations||Iceberg Lounge, Gotham City|
|Place of Birth||Gotham City|
Pre-Face Crisis on Infinite Earths
Following the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths the original multiverse was merged into one single universe. As such the Penguins of Earth-One and Earth-Two were merged into a single being. As a result, the New Earth incarnation may have had many similar past encounters with Batman and a shared history that mirrors events on those two realities. The extent of this event mirroring remains unrevealed.
Origins and Criminal Career
Born Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot, the Penguin was bullied as a child for his short stature, obesity, and beak-like nose. These traits made him an outcast in his rich, high society family; their rejection drove him to become a criminal. When Penguin was a young child, his father died of pneumonia after being drenched in a downpour. Because of this, his mother became over-protective and forced him to carry an umbrella whenever he went outside — even on sunny days. In keeping with his family's tradition of wealth, the Penguin lives a life of crime, yet executes it with his own self-proclaimed class and style.
Unlike most of the Batman villains, the Penguin is a gentleman villain, in control of his own actions and perfectly sane, features that serve to maintain a unique relationship with his archenemy, Batman. This has extended into the current situation with the Penguin ceasing his direct involvement in crime, instead running a nightclub that is popular with the underworld. As such, he is an excellent source of information on crime, so Batman grudgingly tolerates his operations. However, the entrepreneurial Penguin is often fencing stolen property or arranging early furloughs for incarcerated former criminal associates - for a hefty fee, of course - on the side. When Gotham City is nearly leveled by an earthquake, he stays behind when the US government shuts down and blockades the city. He becomes one of the major players in the mostly-abandoned and lawless city, using his connections to profit. One of these connections is discovered to be Lex Luthor and his company. Cobblepot once joined Harvey Dent AKA Two-Face, and several other Gotham criminals to bring down the crime family led by Sofia Falcone. Cobblepot was only with the group very briefly and was arrested after a firefight at the docks with Tony Zucco and Eddie Skeevers.
The Penguin becomes swept up in the events of Infinite Crisis. He is part of the Battle of Metropolis, a multi-character brawl started by the Secret Society of Super Villains. The Penguin, along with several other villains, are bowled over by the surprise appearance of Bart Allen.
One Year Later
While the Penguin was away from Gotham City, the Great White Shark and the Tally Man killed many of the villains who worked for the Penguin (including the KGBeast, Magpie, Orca and the Ventriloquist), and framed Harvey Dent. The Shark had planned to take over Gotham's criminal syndicate and weaken all his competition - Penguin included. Upon his return to Gotham, the Penguin continues to claim that he has gone "straight" and reopened the Iceberg Lounge nightclub, selling overpriced penguin merchandise. He urges the Riddler to avoid crime, as it's more lucrative in their current, non-criminal lifestyle.
Back to Crime
The Penguin has recently returned to be a prominent figure in Gotham City's criminal society after the rise and fall of the new Black Mask. Around this time, the Penguin employed a henchman named Bossworth. During a meeting with members of the Penitente drug cartel, the Penguin was attacked by Red Hood who nearly killed Cobblepot and Gabriel Santo.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Genius Level Intellect: From an early age Penguin was never very physically strong or appealing and this forced him to learn to live life with a keen intellect. It should be noted that his intellect is almost always sinister in nature even in the most mundane of decisions.
- Business Management: Oswald's criminal operations would succeed without a hitch if not for the actions of Batman. Oswald has existed both above and below the law with his businesses; running a legitimate night club as well as selling drugs from within it.
- Leadership: Penguin always travels with henchmen on any criminal mission or even to the zoo. He controls bodyguards, chefs, servants, gang members, villains and so on with masterful talent. Oswald has led both legal and illegal operations within Gotham City; under any conditions.
- Avian Trainer: Penguin has used his knowledge of birds for criminal purposes as well as personal purposes. Like Catwoman, he shares a special kinship with birds specifically the African penguin.
- Trick Umbrellas: The Penguin employs an assortment of "trick" umbrellas, many of which can be used as weapons as well. A few of his umbrellas are equipped with motorized flight capabilities, and he often uses such devices in order to affect an expedient escape.
- In a Saturday Night Live skit called "Superman's Funeral," the Penguin attended Superman's Funeral and made the same sound he made for laughing as he did when he cried.
- In the continuity of the Super Friends comic book series, the Penguin was the leader of a team of villains known as the Super Foes. The Super Foes were analogous to the Legion of Doom from the Super Friends cartoon series. The Penguin recruited his own personal sidekick, Chick, and instructed him to infiltrate the Hall of Justice.
- The Penguin's corpulence and short height causes him to waddle when he walks, giving credence to the distasteful "Penguin" sobriquet that has plagued him all of his life. Adding to the unflattering pseudonym, Cobblepot also has a distended, pointy nose which closely resembles a bird’s beak.
- The Penguin
- 255 Appearances of Oswald Cobblepot (New Earth)
- 61 Images featuring Oswald Cobblepot (New Earth)
- 15 Quotations by or about Oswald Cobblepot (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Oswald Cobblepot (New Earth)
- Penguin at dccomics.com
- Penguin (comics) at Wikipedia.org
- "The Origin of the Penguin" at DCComics.com
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."
Injustice League member
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.
Suicide Squad member
Secret Society of Super-Villains member