Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
- Do these men have families? Not anymore they don't.
- -- Penguin src
Oswald Cobblepot is the Penguin, a ruthless Gotham City mobster who frequently finds himself an enemy of Batman.
Before Batman's first official appearance in Gotham, Cobblepot was a rising crime lord, one of his fortes being weapon deals, which he did on his personal blimp. When Red Hood One, leader of the Red Hood Gang, infiltrated the blimp, intending to steal a collection of WayneTech weapons, the vigilante that would eventually become Batman sprung into action. Unable to get the weapon from the Red Hood, the hero parachuted from the blimp, carrying Cobblepot in his arms. 
Other Early Crimes
During the second year of Batman's career, Penguin was still not the master of Gotham's underworld he would one day become. A lieutenant in Carmine Falcone's operation, Penguin was contacted by the actor Basil Karlo for a less-than-legal edge he could use to make him stand out in the acting world. Cobblepot made him an offer of a magical piece of clay he had gotten his hands on in exchange for Karlo acting as one of his henchmen. Karlo agreed, and the piece of clay transformed him into the Gotham criminal Clayface.
Later that year, Penguin became entangled in what would be called "the War of Jokes and Riddles" between the Joker and the Riddler for the right to kill Batman. The Joker, seeing an opportunity to commandeer Carmine Falcone's operations to bolster his own army, kicked Gotham's strongest crimelord out of Gotham and sent him into retirement. With Falcone's henchman now all Joker's, Penguin became a member of the clown's army against Riddler. For weeks the fighting raged on between the two sides all throughout Gotham until Batman himself was forced to focus his efforts on one army in particular. The Bat chose to set his sights on the Joker and forced Penguin out of the fight. With Falcone gone and many of his lieutenants killed by the Joker, the Penguin filled the power vacuum and became Gotham's new strongest crimelord.
When the Crime Syndicate arrived on Earth and seemingly killed the Justice League, Gotham City was sent into a wave of panic without Batman to defend them. Cobblepot, undaunted by the hysteria, ran the Iceberg Casino as usual. As the city began to break down, a group of card sharks known as "the Illusionists" attempted to cheat the system at Penguin's casino, which resulted in the order to have both them and their families killed. So, business as usual.
Later, Governor Carter Winston, an old friend of Cobblepot's from grade school, attempted to bring justice to Gotham in Batman's absence by first targeting the Penguin and his operations. Having a tense dinner together, Winston swore that he would bring his old pal down for the crimes the Penguin committed. Penguin, disappointed that he was being underestimated, drugged Winston with Venom and blackmailed the governor when the man woke up the next morning with his assistant's blood on his hands. Governor Winston, distraught, has no choice but to back down abd, the next day, committed suicide by shooting himself on live television. 
With matters continually getting worse and worse in Gotham without a hero to save it, the Penguin usurped the current position holder and declared himself the new mayor of the city. During Cobblepot's "term", the super villains from Arkham Asylum and the prisoners from Blackgate Penitentiary began to battle for territory in what was later named the "Arkham War". Playing for both sides, Mayor Cobblepot made deals with the leaders of both sides - Scarecrow representing the Arkhamites and Bane representing the Blackgate prisoners. Penguin traded Bane information in order to have one of Blackgate's prisoners - Emperor Penguin - who Penguin believed hadn't suffered enough for his betrayal.
After many bloody battles throughout the streets of Gotham, Bane and his army were victorious in the war. Mayor Penguin, congratulating him on his victory, awarded the victor food, weapons, and free range of the city  until he was kicked out of office when Batman returned.
After the Joker sent the city into chaos, the Penguin, now armed himself to teeth with assault rifles and modified weapon umbrellas, was among the villains summoned by Batman to help him fight along the Joker's army. He was later seen taking down many Joker-venom infected with his trick umbrella.
- Business Management: Oswald has a keen business sense. He has kept his casino business on the right side of the law to set up a front to launder money from his illegal businesses.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Oswald, despite his appearance, is trained in the usage of his personal weaponry. A few thugs or a tussle with Batman is nothing for the Penguin.
- Leadership: The Penguin runs one of the most elusive and strongest gangs in all of Gotham.
- Tactical Analysis: Oswald never forgets an injustice done to him. He may not exact his revenge in the same moment or even the same year but at some point, in some place, he will have his vengeance.
- Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot) was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, first appearing in Detective Comics #58. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot) first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Penguin: Pain and Prejudice #1 by Gregg Hurwitz and Szymon Kudranski.
- Penguin murdered his three brothers; Jason, William and Robert. They all attacked him and his birds one night and he retaliated in time. Jason died due to poisoning, William in a hit-and-run, and Robert in a freak accident which left him at the bottom of a frozen lake. 
- 147 Appearances of Oswald Cobblepot (Prime Earth)
- 40 Images featuring Oswald Cobblepot (Prime Earth)
- 19 Quotations by or about Oswald Cobblepot (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Oswald Cobblepot (Prime Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member