- I'll do everything I can do to prove to the world you're not what they think!
Appearing in "The Mosconian Menace: Part 3"
- The Wizard (Cameo)
Synopsis for "The Mosconian Menace: Part 3"
When the Wizard realized the seriousness of the terrorist threat of the Mosconian group, he contacted the F.B.I., which in turn contacted the Shield. The two meet briefly for the first time, and as the Wizard fought the group at West Point, the Shield went to Pearl Harbor.
After having successfully smashed the Mosconian sabotage plot against the U.S. Government at Pearl Harbor, he is on his way to Washington, D.C. by Naval ship.
The Mosconian's have somehow gained knowledge of this, and intercept the ship with a "Electro-Magnetic Ray" from their submarine. The Shield overhears the captain's panic, and dives in the ocean to check the rudders. He is unsuccessful in fixing the problem and the ship begins to sink.
The Shield then swims over to the sub and tears open the hatch and confronts the terrified Mosconians. He takes over the submarine and it buoys up to the surface. They confess of a Washington plot that is about to be hatched and the Shield heads east.
First he stops in California to borrow the Wizard's plane. Once in Washington, he leaps down on the Mosconian's headquarters. He gets inside and is zapped by a thousand volts of electricity.
He is shocked to unconsciousness and put in a steel coffin. Next, he is buried in a ravine. Meanwhile, the rest of the Mosconians roll out their tanks and head to congress.
The Shield regains consciousness and busts out of his death trap with ease. He races to intercept the tanks and gets there in the nick of time. He takes the tanks and flings them into the plotter's headquarters. A tremendous explosion ensues and the Shield has saved congress and the president.
Appearing in "Stinger Lee's Ray of Darkness"
- Thelma Gordon (First appearance)
- Stinger Lee (Dies)
Synopsis for "Stinger Lee's Ray of Darkness"
Recently, a mobster had the Comet hypnotized to commit robberies. While on a heist, he murdered a police officer, and became wanted for murder. When he regained his senses, he vowed to clear his name.
While walking in the park, he meets reporter Thelma Gordon. Both of them witness a car wreck and Thelma knows the driver is Public Enemy No. 1 – Stinger Lee.
- "The Mosconian Menace" story was not only the first crossover for MLJ Comics, but also the first meeting of the Shield and the Wizard. They met in Part One, Top-Notch Comics #5, which was published in May of 1940. Part 2 was published in last issue, and Part 4 in Top-Notch Comics #6. Top-Notch Comics #7 concludes the "Mosconian" storyline.
- This is the first appearance of Thelma Gordon. She would become the Comet's girlfriend and confidant, and later his brother's wife.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Pep Comics Vol 1 5 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Pep Comics series
- Images from Pep Comics Vol 1 5
Links and References
- No external links.