"Percussion": The Drummer and Jakita are having coffee at an outdoor cafe, talking about Elijah Snow. Jakita knows that Snow isn't telling anyone they've captured Leather, while The Drummer knows that Leather has been moved to a secret location. Jakita thinks Snow has changed, but The Drummer de
- He saves things, Jakita. He saved me. He saved you -- you were an orphan too, you know that much. The whole point of his writing the Planetary guides was to save things, save information, save experiences. He has to take out the Four to save us -- same as he took the memory blocks to save us. He also has to get their information. He has to save knowledge they've gathered from them, see? But he needs all that weird science and esoteric data for something else too. I'm not good at people. But I am good at information. And I've known Elijah Snow half my life. I've seen what he's reading. I know where he's been. He wants the Four worse than ever, sure. Some Century Babies are defenders. Some are pioneers. Elijah saves things. I think he wants to save Ambrose Chase.
- -- The Drummer
Appearing in "Percussion"
- John Stone (Flashback only)
- Randall Dowling (Behind the scenes)
Synopsis for "Percussion"
The Drummer and Jakita are having coffee at an outdoor cafe, talking about Elijah Snow. Jakita knows that Snow isn't telling anyone they've captured Leather, while The Drummer knows that Leather has been moved to a secret location. Jakita thinks Snow has changed, but The Drummer defends him, saying Snow's motives are less sinister than they appear. The Drummer's support isn't surprising, as we then flash to him as a teenager, one of a dozen young captives of Randall Dowling, using his talents to help steal information. Snow, Jakita, and Ambrose Chase infiltrate the operation, but before Jakita can kick the leader's spine out he presses a button which starts killing the kids, one by one. Only The Drummer is saved. Snow saves Chase's life, the Drummer destroys the entire operation, and the four of them barely make it out alive...with Chase saving Snow's life this time.
Later, one of the Planetary doctors explains The Drummer's powers to Snow: he sucks up and processes any kind of information. Sometime after that, Snow meets with John Stone, who he's had trying to locate the kid's family...all of whom are dead, under rather suspicious circumstances. Leaving Snow with little choice but to offer The Drummer a spot on the team. Back in the present, The Drummer tells Jakita that saving things is what Snow does. And he thinks that now, Snow is not only trying to get The Four. He's trying to save Ambrose Chase.
- This book was first published on June 29, 2005.
- This issue is collected in Planetary: Spacetime Archaeology
- The hover-car driven by John Stone is based on the S.H.I.E.L.D. vehicle in Marvel Comics.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Planetary Vol 1 23 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Planetary series