When Luthor escapes from prison again, he reforms his criminal gang and arms them with a liquidified kryptonite substance as effective as natural kryptonite. Reminded of their earliest case together, Batman and Robin offer their assistance to Superman in the event that Luthor continues to use kryptonite against Superman.
When Batman and Robin summoned Superman to work out their collaborative attack to stop Luthor, they are surprised to see Superman arrive with Powerman. Superman unexpectedly claims that Powerman is his new partner and that Batman and Robin are no longer needed.
The surprise move does not deter Batman and Robin from continuing their investigation against Luthor, though not directly with Superman. Batman and Robin devise another effective defensive shielding against Luthor's kryptonite ploy. With the threat of Luthor removed, Superman revealed to his friends that Powerman was a remote controlled robot he designed to safeguard them from harm.
While Superman continued to refine and use other robots, he retired the Powerman robot, accepting his steadfast friend's loyalty to repeatedly risk their lives for him, despite any obvious dangers.
- Powerman's design structure was extremely primitive compared to the later Superman Robots, whose powers included low level replications of Superman's superpowers.
- Powerman was intentionally designed not to be an independent functioning robot, and was completely remote controlled at all times, not even moving without direct commands from Superman.
- Even the robot's speech capability was limited to pre-recorded audio tapes, rather than automatic response of the later Superman Robots.
- Powerman did not possess the ability to fly, necessitating that Superman carry the robot around.
- This version of Powerman, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Kal-EL of Earth-One designed the Powerman robot based on the extra-dimensional interference from Atoman of Earth-Two as Atoman recovered from his near death battle with the Earth-Two Superman during World War II.
- 6 Appearances of Powerman (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Powerman (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Powerman (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Powerman (Earth-One)