In 1942 Princess Maru became Doctor Poison, who disguises her gender via a bulky hooded costume and mask, was the leader of a Nazi spy ring whose ultimate goal was to wreak havoc in the US Army by contaminating the army's water with "reverso," a drug that "confuses the brain centers… [making] soldiers do the exact opposite of what they are told."
This plan is foiled by the Amazon heroine Wonder Woman and Doctor Poison is imprisoned, but she later escapes and, in 1943, now working for Japan, grounds all US planes along the front of China via a "green gas" which "enters the carburetor and stops the engine." Wonder Woman halts this scheme as well, and Doctor Poison is imprisoned on Transformation Island, the Amazon penal colony. She is not seen again until 1948, when she and seven other female super-villains escape and pool their talents as Villainy Inc.; led by the Saturnian slaver Eviless, the evil eight are again defeated by Wonder Woman. Throughout most of her first appearance Doctor Poison was believed to be a male due to her disguise, and she retained this "drag king" garb in her later appearances; whether this guise was simply a necessity of assuming power within the male-dominated Axis governments or indicative of something else is difficult to say at this late date.
- This version of Princess Maru (Earth-Two), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 6 Appearances of Princess Maru (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Princess Maru (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Princess Maru (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Princess Maru (Earth-Two)
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."