After being born into a life of wealth, Quigley made his own mark in the world as an adult by becoming a well-known big game hunter. Unfortunately, a disagreement with his father over politics led to his being cut out of the family fortune, and Quigley was left with a taste for the high life but no real way to pay for it.
At this point, Quigley decided to put his hunting skills to more profitable use by threatening to kill other wealthy citizens of Metropolis if they didn't pay his extortion demands. Because his specialty was killing with bow and arrow, he chose the simple but effective sobriquet of the Archer to mask his doings from the law. Foolishly, though, he allowed his egotism to rule him enough so that he made sure the police knew that this new string of killings were the work of one man, and so, it wasn't long before the Archer was Public Enemy #1.
This naturally brought Superman into the case, and before too long, Superman had unmasked the Archer as Quigley and helped in his arrest. Quigley was convicted of several counts of murder and given a stiff prison sentence.
He managed to escape some years later and, with a quiver full of arrows that could shut down Superman's powers one-by-one, attempted to get revenge on Superman. This gambit also failed, and Quigley was defeated by Superman (with help from Jimmy Olsen).
bow and trick arrows
- This version of the Archer, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 3 Appearances of Quigley (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Quigley (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Quigley (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Quigley (Earth-Two)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."