- My original country is in the cold region of the Vampire Sun. I was born of the eternal fogs, there in Last Country. Neh-Buh-Loh the Huntsmen, am I, master of the Wild Ride. I prepare the way for my Queen of Terror, who will come soon. I will spread at her feet a carpet of skulls. I am of the other world. I herald the end of this one.
- -- Neh-Buh-Loh src
The Neh-Buh-Loh is in fact the adult version of a sentient universe called Qwewq. According to his origins he was herald from a country in "the cold region of the Vampire Sun." and was "born of the eternal fogs, there in Last Country."
He first appeared as the Nebula Man, described as a cosmic being "whose touch has the power of 20 atomic bombs." He was supposedly created by a villain known as The Hand to defeat the original Seven Soldiers of Victory. His actions scattered the Soldiers through time, a fate from which they were later saved by the Justice League and Justice Society. The Nebula Man was defeated when the sidekick of the Crimson Avenger, Wing, sacrificed himself to deliver the final blow.
During the JLA adventure Rock of Ages, while the Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern are sent by Metron through time and space and they land on Wonderworld. During a brief tour of Wonderworlds Omnitropolis, and its museum district by that world's Atom analogue Mote, a few peculiar items are mentioned. Amongst them are an evil 5 dimensional imp trapped in a 6 dimensional bottle, a speedster Glimmer's treadmill, and a larval universe they call Qwewq. They say it they are feeding it and hope to allow it to grow to its full potential.
The Nebula Man later appeared menacing Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., before working with Gorilla Grodd and announcing the end of the world. At the same time, the Justice League were in the Infant Universe of Qwewq, unaware that this was Neh-Buh-Loh's larval form.
Neh-Buh-Loh was revealed to be allied with (or perhaps created by) the Sheeda, time traveling predators from the end of time. He served as the personal huntsman of the Sheeda Queen Gloriana Tenebrae. In the past, Neh-Buh-Loh had been sent to slay the queen's innocent stepdaughter Rhiannon (a.k.a. Misty Kilgore). However, moved by her beauty and symmetry, he could not bear to do it and allowed the girl to escape. This was Neh-Buh-Loh's secret shame for many years.
It was further explained that in the 1940s, Neh-Buh-Loh had been summoned (rather than created) by The Hand using a sonic horn. The creature was seeking "seven soldiers" who were prophesied to one day defeat his mistress, Gloriana. The Hand was all too eager to point him in the right direction, thus leading to the original Seven Soldiers becoming lost in time.
This same sonic horn was used by The Hand's nephew Boy Blue to once again summon Neh-Buh-Loh and the Sheeda in the present, leading to the destruction of an ad-hoc Seven Soldiers team created by the original Vigilante. This set the stage for the Harrowing of Earth which a new Seven Soldiers attempted to prevent.
- Neh-Buh-Loh in Seven Soldiers is influenced by several characters in myth and legend. His failed mission to kill his queen's lovely stepdaughter is a direct parallel with the fairy tale of Snow White.
- His role as the horned Huntsman of the Sheeda has elements of characters from Celtic mythology such as the horned god Cernunnos and later legends such as the King of the Wild Hunt and Herne the Hunter.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 24 Appearances of Qwewq (New Earth)
- 13 Images featuring Qwewq (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Qwewq (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Qwewq (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Nebula Man. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.