Little is known of the early years of the nearly immortal Ra's al Ghul, leader of the League of Assassins, whose name means "the demon's head".
He has lived for many centuries due to Lazarus Pits, containing a mystical and alchemical brew, Lazarus, that restores his youth. A brilliant master of strategy and organization, Ra's al Ghul's goal is to save the Earth from ecological devastation by destroying most of its population.
He recognizes Batman as both a worthy foe and a possible ally - except that Batman cannot accept his dystopic worldview.
To bring Batman to his side, Ra's has even orchestrated a relationship between Batman and his beautiful daughter, Talia al Ghul.
In the Arkham Asylum near Dr. Young's office a body bag can be found. The subject's foot is the only part of his body that can be seen, but the toe-tag has the name "Ra's al Ghul" written on it. But when you return to that same location later, the body bag is unzipped and the body is nowhere to be found.
In Arkham City Batman notices one of Talia's elite guards in Penguin's museum, and once freed she retreats to the closest Assassin base, after following her, he finds her under Arkham City, in the ruins of Wonder City, and as he is poisoned he offers to Talia upon their meeting that he will undergo the Demon Trials to take Ra's place. After succeeding all the trials he finally makes his way to the Lazarus pit, where an old dying Ra's requests Batman kill him, to which he refuses to Talia's surprise, then Ra's falls into the pit, and while rejuvenated fights the Detective in hopes he will die and Bruce will take his place. Utimately he fails and Batman takes a sample of his blood needed for a cure.
Later after Batman confronts Hugo Strange to put an end to Protocol 10, Strange claims he won, at this instant was impaled by Ra's blade. Revealing that Ra's al Ghul was behind the whole plan of Protocol 10, and was the one who offered limitless resources for Strange's plan to work, but Strange failed to accomplish to take down Batman. As Strange was dying, he activates Protocol 11, which counts down to an explosion about to occur. Batman leaps toward Ra's, and pushes him out of the window as the tower explodes behind them, leaving them both falling towards the ground. Batman pursues to capture Ra's to save him, while Ra's takes out his sword and impales himself. Batman pushes Ra's body away as he plummets down on the main entrance of Arkham City. Leaving him impaled on top of the gate.
Upon returning at a later point, his body is nowhere to be found...
- Lazarus Enhancement: Ra's al Ghul has lived for several centuries thanks to his use of Lazarus Pits which he has used countless times replenishing his aged, injured, or even dead body. As a side effect to numerous exposures to the pits his strength and stamina have been enhanced.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Arkhamverse video game series and is an adaptation of Ra's al Ghul. The original character was created by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams and first appeared in Batman #232.
- Ra's al Ghul was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- While not appearing in the game, Ra's al Ghul's swords can be seen in the evidence room of GCPD Headquarters in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Appearances of Ra's al Ghul (Arkhamverse)
- Images featuring Ra's al Ghul (Arkhamverse)
- Quotations by or about Ra's al Ghul (Arkhamverse)
- Character Gallery: Ra's al Ghul (Arkhamverse)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."
League of Assassins member