Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Ra's al Ghul is the founder of the League of Assassins, an organization of deadly warriors that he used to achieve his goal of ridding the world of evil. Ra's eventually became affiliated with an organization called the Untitled. Ra's al Ghul built his city, Eth'Alth'Eban, over the Untitled's Well of Sins, which was the first form of a Lazarus Pit. Through the Well, Ra's managed to create his own Pit, allowing him to live for hundreds of years.
Deal with the All-Caste
Ra's al Ghul approached an organization called the All-Caste, to create a working relationship with the League of Assassins. Through the All Caste, the League gained a connection with the Untitled, an enemy organization of the All-Caste. As part of their deal, the League asked the All-Caste to train Jason Todd. Ra's eventually betrayed the All-Caste, and shortly after, the All-Caste was killed off by the Unitiled.
Red Hood and the Outlaws
When Deathstroke's daughter, Rose, was on the urge of death, Ra's made an offer to Slade, telling him that if he swears his allegiance to the League of Assassins, he will heal his daughter. Slade reluctantly agrees to the terms, only to find out Ra's had tricked him, forcing Rose, along with Slade's son Jericho, to also swear their allegiance to the League.
- Lazarus Enhancement: Ra's al Ghul has lived for several centuries thanks to his use of Lazarus Pits which he has used countless times replenishing his aged, injured, or even dead body. As a side effect to numerous exposures to the pits, his strength, speed, stamina, agility, and durability may have been enhanced.
- Longevity: Ra's has acquired an extended lifespan through the use of the Lazarus Pit. His unrestricted access to the Pit has rendered him nearly immortal.
- Well of Sins Enhancement (formerly): After bathing in the Well of Sins, the very first, and purest form of the Lazarus Pit, Ra's gained mystical powers.
- Immortality (formerly): After submerging in the waters of the Well of Sin, Ra's gained true immortality.
- Energy Projection (formerly): After submerging in the Well of Sins, Ra's was able to generate and project a green, electricity-like energy. This also caused his body to glow with a green aura.
- Energy Construct Creation (formerly): Ra's was able to construct a sword from energy.
- Summoning (formerly): While fighting Jason Todd, Ra's was able to summon animated constructs from the ground, that resembled the Joker.
- Levitation (formerly): After submerging in the Well of Sins, Ra's was capable of levitating in the air.
- Deception: Ra's is greatly skilled in the art of deception.
- Genius Level Intellect: Due to his greatly extended lifespan, Ra's has acquired vast knowledge over his years, granting him him the intellect of a genius.
- Leadership: Ra's is a highly capable leader, as he has successfully led the League of Assassins for centuries.
- Marksmanship: Although not his preferred weapon of choice, Ra's has displayed the ability to handle himself well with firearms.
- Martial Arts: Ra's near-immortal life has allowed him to learn numerous fighting styles over the years making him rival even Batman in combat.
- Occultism: Ra's possesses knowledge and understanding of magic and concepts of mystical nature.
- Swordsmanship: Ra's is a master swordsman, honing his skills over centuries of training and combat. This has allowed him to defeat the physically superior Deathstroke in a sword duel.
- Tactical Analysis: Ra's is a brilliant tactician, honing his tactical skills throughout the multiple centuries of his extended lifespan.
- Weaponry: Throughout his years, Ra's has displayed his mastery of weapons in combat, favoring a sword, although he has undoubtedly mastered many other forms of weaponry.
- Ra's al Ghul was created by Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, and Julius Schwartz, first appearing in Batman #232. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Ra's al Ghul first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Red Hood and the Outlaws #24 by James Tynion IV and Julius Gopez.
- Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus Pit is composed of the same chemical compound that gave Vandal Savage his immortality and the Pale Man his, as revealed during the Endgame storyline.
- Appearances of Ra's al Ghul (Prime Earth)
- Images featuring Ra's al Ghul (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ra's al Ghul (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ra's al Ghul (Prime Earth)
League of Assassins member
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."