- No! Don't touch me! Do you truly wonder... "mother"... why I might have become as I am -— even after it was you who abandoned me to them? You should have saved me! But you let them take me away -— destroying my childhood... because... you hated me... wanted me gone!
- -- Blackstarr src
Born to Jewish parents in Poland, Rachel was taken from her mother when they arrived at a concentration camp (in her mind, her mother had let them take her and abandoned her). She managed to amuse the camp commandant so much that she was allowed to live and was taken into his home. Being raised in a Nazi household, combined with her mother's failure to save her, convinced Rachel that the Nazis were right. The camp commandant had been prepared for the fall of Nazi Germany and had arranged false papers for her. These identified Rachel as American and she set off to the United States, where she studied and received her first PH.D. at 18.
Rachel unraveled a mystery that Einstein could only begin to dream of. The very forces of the universe took her, molding her into the being called Blackstarr.
Battle with Supergirl
In the early 1980's, Rachel had made herself the center of a Nazi organization. This caused her to clash with Supergirl and reunited Rachel with her mother. Rachel was torn between her love for her mother and her hatred towards the woman that, in her mind, abandoned her. Supergirl wouldn't let her to harm Mrs. Berkowitz, though, and battled her. Blackstarr teleported Supergirl and herself away to the center of the universe and tried to crush the Girl of Steel with enough cosmic energy to "reduce a planet to dust", but Supergirl managed to turn her gravity-manipulation powers against her, and Blackstarr was apparently torn apart between two black holes.
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Blackstarr's powers allowed her to manipulate matter and energy and bend them to her will.
- Decelerated Aging
- Elemental Control
- Energy Projection
- Gravity Manipulation
- Interstellar Travel
- This version of Blackstarr, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- 8 Appearances of Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- Blackstarr at dccomics.com
- Blackstarr at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at DC Comics
- Supergirl at TV Tropes
- Supergirl at Supermanica
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."