Born to jewish parents in Poland, Rachel was taken from her mother when they arrived at a concentration camp (in her mind, her mother had let them take her and abandoned her).
She managed to amuse the camp commandant so much that she was allowed to live and was taken into his home. Being raised in a Nazi household, combined with her mother's failuire to save her, convinced Rachel that the Nazis were right. The camp commandant had been prepared for the fall of Nazi Germany and had arranged false papers for her. These identified Rachel as American and she set off to the United States, where she studied and received her first PH.D. at 18.
Rachel unraveled a mystery that Einstein could only begin to dream of. The very forces of the universe took her, molding her into Blackstarr.
In the early 1980's, Rachel had made herself the center of a Nazi organization. This caused her to clash with Supergirl and reunited Rachel with her mother.
- This version of Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 6 Appearances of Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Rachel Berkowitz (Earth-One)