Raya was born and raised on the planet Krypton. She grew up and wanted to be a scientist and when around the age of 20 she got a job working for the respected scientist Jor-El, the father of Kal-El. When Jor-El became suspicious about the stability of Krypton as a planet, she help him build a ship that could be capable of carrying his son to a distant planet for safety. When Krypton was about to be destroyed, Jor-El sent Raya into the Phantom Zone while he and Lara-El tried to find a way to stop the planet's destruction despite Raya's complaints about wanting to stay with Jor-El. Jor-El gave her a Crystal of El to ward off the phantoms of the Phantom Zone until she can be freed.
After she saved Clark Kent from the phantoms, Raya took him to her encampment where she interrogated him and discovered that he was Kal-El. She told Clark about Krypton and the Phantom Zone gateway. Before he left, Raya gave Clark the Crystal of El to help him to stop Zod, and helped him escape the Phantom Zone while killing Nam-Ek. Unfortunately, Raya was stabbed by Aethyr as Clark was escaping.
Sometime later, satellite images from Queen Industries showed that Raya had emerged from the Phantom Zone and landed somewhere in Australia. Later, she went to find Clark at the Kent Farm; they became close friends. Clark showed Raya Smallville as they supersped around the town, and she seemed genuinely impressed by Earth. Raya explained the true reasons of Clark being on Earth and why he must continue his training with Jor-El. They then battled the Zoner Baern, who had possessed a human teenager named Lamar. Raya told Clark that they had to retrieve the Kryptonian Black Box from Lex Luthor. Otherwise, Baern could become powerful enough to kill them both. Clark took Raya to the Fortress of Solitude where they made attempts to fix it. Tragically, Raya was killed by Baern. Raya's death spurred Clark to complete his training with Jor-El, but only once all the prisoners from the Phantom Zone were imprisoned or killed. Clark presumably buried her body.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Raya possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Raya's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Raya can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Raya' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Raya's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Raya can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Raya's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Raya's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Raya is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Raya is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Raya is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Raya's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Raya is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Raya is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Raya possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Raya was played by Pascale Hutton.
- 2 Appearances of Raya (Smallville)
- 4 Images featuring Raya (Smallville)
- Quotations by or about Raya (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Raya (Smallville)
Superman Family member