"With Blood and Rage": In deep space, Sector 666, a ship of sadistic blue-skinned torturers are bored with their current victims, expressing a desire for new fare. Unfortunately for them, the prompt arrival of Dex-Starr, the Red Lantern space cat, doesn't prove to
Appearing in "With Blood and Rage"
- Atrocitus (Flashback and main story)
- Krona (Flashback and main story) (Appears only as a corpse)
- Manhunters (Flashback only)
- Ubez (First appearance; dies)
- Zuuq (First appearance; dies)
- Baxter (First appearance)
- Raymond Moore (First appearance)
- John Moore (First appearance)
- Raymond's grandfather (First appearance; dies)
- Ferta (Flashback only) (First appearance; dies)
- Hal Jordan (Flashback only)
- Pandora (Cameo)
Synopsis for "With Blood and Rage"
In deep space, Sector 666, a ship of sadistic blue-skinned torturers are bored with their current victims, expressing a desire for new fare. Unfortunately for them, the prompt arrival of Dex-Starr, the Red Lantern space cat, doesn't prove to be as amusing as anticipated. Dex-Starr scalps one of the lead torturers, but is injured and captured by the rest of the crew. Enter Atrocitus, who swiftly massacres everyone on board while internally lamenting that he appears to be losing his motivation. Meanwhile, in Small Ockdon, UK, Sector 2814, a war veteran is resisting a mugging at the hands of Baxter, a street thug. Baxter kills him in a rage.
Returning to Ysmault, Atrocitus tenderly lays his cat down for healing before turning his attention to his brawling Red Lantern Corps, who struggle to string together a coherent thought between them. Bleez singles herself out as possessing the greatest focus among them, demonstrating potential insolence and causing Atrocitus to doubt his influence over his corps. Owing to a lack of intelligent confidants, Atrocitus resorts to confiding in the corpse of Krona, former mad Guardian and his greatest enemy. We learn through flashback of Krona's Manhunters and the Massacre of Sector 666, Atrocitus' great personal loss in witnessing the killing of his wife and child, and his frustration at the vengeance denied to him when Guy Gardner, Green Lantern, killed Krona.
On Earth, John Moore narrowly misses the death of his grandfather in a hospital bed, much to the anger of his brother, Raymond. The grandfather was the mugging victim seen earlier. Raymond takes out his grief on John, who offends him with his tight rein over his emotions. Raymond punches his brother and walks away.
Back on Ysmault, Atrocitus performs a blood prophecy using Krona's blood. The resulting visions show him a great many people throughout the universe who must be punished for their actions, refueling his rage and redefining his motivation as an instrument of vengeance. But to fulfill his vision, he recognises that he will need greater help from his red lanterns, those whose loyalty he is beginning to doubt.
- This book was first published on September 14, 2011.
- Pandora makes a brief cameo appearance to witness the events of this story, as she does all #1 issues published as part of The New 52. She can be seen in an alley as the Moore brothers, are walking down the street, discussing their grandfather.
- The events of Flashpoint have brought Veon and Vice back to life. They previously fell in the War of Light and Blackest Night, respectively.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Red Lanterns Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Red Lanterns series
- Images from Red Lanterns Vol 1 1
Links and References
- No external links.