A reporter for the Tribute, an American newspaper published in Great Britain during World War II, Richard "Buck" Dare volunteered to become an Allied aviator for a secret organization known as the Group. Given the codename Captain X, Dare flew top-secret missions behind enemy lines in an experimental plastic plane, Jenny, for the remainder of the war. As the Cold War loomed, Dare founded the "X Protocol" and coordinated covert operations behind the Iron Curtain. Dare continued to be involved in intelligence for the remainder of his life. He is also the grandfather of Ronnie Raymond, Firestorm, and was killed during a conflict between Firestorm and the superpowered KGB agent Stalnoivolk.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Dare has been described as an expert hand-to-hand combatant.
- Aviation: Captain X is an immensely skilled Pilot.
- Jenny: Captain X's aircraft, affectionately named Jenny, was radio-controlled, virtually invisible from a distance, could hover, and used Uranium-235 as its atomic fuel source.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 15 Appearances of Richard Dare (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Richard Dare (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Richard Dare (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Richard Dare (New Earth)
- Captain X at dccomics.com
- Captain X at Wikipedia.org
- Captain X at the DCU Guide
- Captain X at Comicvine