|Real Name||Roland Desmond|
|Relatives||Mark Desmond (brother), Joyce Desmond (mother)|
|Affiliation||Blockbuster Gang, formerly Suicide Squad, Black Lantern Corps|
|Base Of Operations||Blüdhaven|
|Universe||Earth-One, New Earth|
|Creators||Gardner Fox, Carmine Infantino|
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
- I underestimated you, hero. And I am not happy about that. You are the equal of your mentor. . . . But even you cannot save every life. You cannot right every wrong.
- -- Blockbuster src
Roland Desmond is a criminal mastermind who manipulated his brother into performing numerous criminal actions while under the influence of a strength-enhancing steroid. After his brother's death, he too took this steroid and found his intelligence much reduced - until signing his soul away to the demon Neron. Using his combination of brute strength and great intelligence he took over most of the criminal operations in the city of Blüdhaven, opposed only by the vigilante Nightwing. After some time, Blockbuster's mother died, a death which Blockbuster blamed on Nightwing. He set out on a campaign to ruin the hero's life, taking away anything and anyone that mattered to him. When Nightwing was at his lowest, he stood by and allowed the new vigilante Tarantula to kill his enemy. The police investigation into Blockbuster's death has been perfunctory at best.
- Diminished Intellect (formerly): Before his deal with Neron, Blockbuster was never considered a smart opponent. It was possible that the meta-gene had affected his mental capacity. He was very predictable, and his moves were easily countered. After his deal with Neron, Blockbuster's mental capacity was greatly improved, and he was now a master planner. He no longer considered brute force as his greatest strength, and if possible he preferred to refrain from using his powers. However, when provoked, he was known to revert to his old, brutal self.
- Black Lantern Ring (formerly)
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 76 Appearances of Roland Desmond (New Earth)
- 9 Images featuring Roland Desmond (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Roland Desmond (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Roland Desmond (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."