Roland Meacham appeared to be simply the public spirited head of the Committeee to Preserve Gotham Village, an area of Gotham City under threat from developers. In fact, he was a criminal known as the Smiler (so called because his lifelike latex mask made him appear to be constantly smiling) who was trying to save the village in order to protect the subterranean sanctuary for criminal fugitives which he had built in the caves beneath it (where crooks on the run could hide out, get fake I.D's and watch movies (though only crime movies) in a private cinema). He was unmasked by Batman and Robin.
Smiler had invented a beam of radioactive phosphorus which, when applied to an enemy's forehead, left an invisible mark which could receive an 'energy signal' that would stop them in their tracks at Smiler's command.
- This version of The Smiler, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 4 Appearances of Roland Meacham (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Roland Meacham (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Roland Meacham (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Roland Meacham (Earth-One)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."