Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Several years ago, Black Mask picked a fight with Catwoman, believing that she lived by the same "no killing" rule as Batman. However, after ticking her off a little too much, Catwoman snapped and shot him. Thought to be dead, Sionis managed to survive his injury and stagger to Arkham Asylum, willingly turning himself in and begging to be treated. 
Night of the Owls
A couple years later, Sionis is still mentally unstable and considered a baffling case by Doctor Arkham. On the Night of the Owls, an assassin for the Court of Owls known as the Talon attempted to kill Dr. Arkham while he talked to Black Mask in captivity. In an attempt to protect himself, Arkham returned Sionis' mask to him, commanding him to mind control the other inmates into attacking the invaders and to keep anyone from entering his safe room. After Batman arrived and finished with the Talons, he discovered Black Mask, out of his cell, and quickly knocked him out before he could escape. 
Back in Power, Enemy of Catwoman
Red Hood and the New Outlaws
- Mind Control: With his mask, Black Mask has some psychosis link to people's minds. He can actually control them with a certain amount of effort.
- Mental Illness: Roman Sionis has gone insane with his power. He considers the mask to be a separate being that he is addicted to letting free.
- Black Mask was created by Doug Moench and Tom Mandrake, first appearing in Batman #386. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Black Mask first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Detective Comics (Volume 2) #9 by Tony S. Daniel.
- 48 Appearances of Roman Sionis (Prime Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Roman Sionis (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Roman Sionis (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Roman Sionis (Prime Earth)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."
Secret Society of Super-Villains member