- In loudest din or hush profound, my ears catch evil's slightest sound. Let those who toll out evil's knell, beware my power: The F-Sharp Bell!
- -- Rot Lop Fan src
Rot Lop Fan hails from the Obsidian Deeps, where there is no notion of color or light, and is one of the most unique members of the Corps. Unable to understand the concept of the "Green Lantern" Corps, this silicone-based life form uses a musical instrument, the F-Sharp Bell, to emit sound waves from his power ring. Though he has no eyes, and is therefore completely blind, Rot Lop Fan has impeccable hearing, able to perceive sounds from over four sectors away. This legendary Lantern prefers to remain in his sector, but will always arrive when help is requested elsewhere.
Green Lantern Corps
Katma Tui was sent by the Guardians of the Universe to a lightless region of space known as the Obsidian Deeps, in order to recruit a new Green Lantern to protect that region of space. Despite the absolute darkness of the Deeps, Katma's power ring led her unerringly to a completely fearless and honest resident of the Deeps: Rot Lop Fan. Unfortunately, when she offered him a power ring, she couldn't explain to him how the ring works (by projecting beams of light, controlled by the wearer's willpower and imagination), because Rot Lop Fan had no experience with or understanding of color or light, having no sense of sight. Because of this, the translator of Katma's power ring was unable to translate any words relating to color (such as 'green') or light (such as 'lantern') into Rot Lop Fan's own language – which meant that the usual Green Lantern oath was useless.
After some consideration, Katma reshaped the power ring from a lantern into a bell, describing the Green Lanterns as the F-Sharp Bell Corps and the ring's powers in terms of sound instead of light, and also comes up with an oath relating to this. Having both solved this dilemma and created a modified Green Lantern uniform (bearing the emblem of a green bell instead of a lantern), Katma leaves Rot Lop Fan to protect his people.
An interstellar slave ring dealing in selling Green Lanterns once captured Rot Lop Fan. Fortunately, he was rescued by the irascible Guy Gardner with whom he forged a bizarre friendship.
- Alien Physiology: Rot Lop Fan has no eyes and his skin is made of silicone.
- Enhanced Hearing: Having no sense or knowledge of sight or color. Rot Lop Fan's brain doesn't have an occipital lobe and therefore more of his brain is devoted to his temporal senses. The top of Rot Lop Fan's head is shaped in such a fashion that his skull resonates sound allowing him pitch perfect hearing and more so.
- Energy Resistance: Rot Lop Fan sports a silicone-based body that is both heat and light resistant.
- F-Sharp Bell: The F-Sharp Bell allows for a protective shield and sound waves that are shaped into solid forms. Being a Green Lantern Ring, the F-Sharp Bell also has all the functions of a regular power ring however they are slightly tuned towards sound based projections instead of light.
- Rot Lop Fan's constructs always appear musical in nature and project concussive sound waves.
- 5 Appearances of Rot Lop Fan (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Rot Lop Fan (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Rot Lop Fan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Rot Lop Fan (New Earth)
- Green Lantern at dccomics.com
- Green Lantern at Wikipedia.org
- List of Green Lanterns at Wikipedia
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."