Originally he was a wealthy man shown to have died in a plane crash that left his young son stranded on the isolated Lost Mesa along with his faithful manservant Quoag. He was later shown to be a scientist who died along with his wife when one of his inventions exploded, leaving their son to be raised by Chief Thunderhead. Most consistently he is shown to be a heroic ranger who rescued many members of a Navajo tribe from a raging forest fire. One of them named Brave Bow promised to return the noble deed and decided to adopt his son when the man perished in an avalanche. Later he was said to have died in the forest fire when young Roy was around two years old.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In his first appearance Roy's father was not given a name. In his second appearance he was called John, and had a wife named Anna. It wasn't until his third appearance that he was called Roy Senior, and that name stuck, though he was once called Will.
- 5 Appearances of Roy Harper, Sr. (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Roy Harper, Sr. (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Roy Harper, Sr. (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Roy Harper, Sr. (New Earth)