"Rush City": Diego Zhao and his fiancée Maggie Flynn plan on going out for the evening. Diego speaks briefly with Maggie's daughter Sam and tells her that Mrs. B will be babysitting tonight. Sam offers to watch over Diego's car (which she actually considers her own), but Diego tells
- I lost everything. Now we make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else. Sam and me. If someone you love is lost, we'll find them.
- -- Rush
Appearing in "Rush City"
- Rush (Diego Zhao) (First appearance)
- Maggie Flynn (First appearance)
- Samantha Flynn (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "Rush City"
Diego Zhao and his fiancée Maggie Flynn plan on going out for the evening. Diego speaks briefly with Maggie's daughter Sam and tells her that Mrs. B will be babysitting tonight. Sam offers to watch over Diego's car (which she actually considers her own), but Diego tells her to hold onto his St. Christopher's medallion instead.
Diego and Maggie have a fun evening full of dancing and drink. They take the train back to Brooklyn only to find Maggie's apartment complex ablaze. Diego leaps off the train and rushes towards one of the fire trucks. Although Diego is a firefighter, none of the other firemen from this particular company recognize him. He grabs two hoses and rushes into the blaze.
Diego finds Sam and takes her in his arms, but the floor gives way beneath them and they topple into the heart of the fire. They land on top of Diego's car. The firefighters manage to rescue Diego, but Sam dies in the blaze. Diego spends the next two months in a coma. Because he was off-duty and inebriated during the failed rescue attempt, Diego's fire house company decide to let him go.
In order to atone for the guilt he feels at failing to save Sam – Diego embarks upon a career to save those who are in need, and to find those who are lost.
- This book was first published on July 9, 2006.
- This issue is only available as a 6-page webcomic from the Rushcitycomic page on the DC Comics web-site.
- Although Samantha Flynn dies in this issue, she makes a chronologically earlier appearance in flashback in Rush City #1.
- Diego Zhao earned the nickname Rush due to his ability to effectively move quickly through a blazing fire.
- Rush City is also the name of an actual city in the state of Minnesota.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Rush City Vol 1 0 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Rush City series