Ever since Saarek was a small child, he possessed the ability to telepathically commune with the dead. As an adult, he was chosen to serve in the second iteration of the Green Lantern Corps. Saarek's ability brought him into contact with another GL named Morro - the caretaker of the Green Lantern Crypt on Oa. 
When an alien threat began slaughtering family members of various Green Lantern rookies, Saarek's expertise was called upon to identify the victims and analyze the situation. After literally bathing in the severed eyeballs of dozens of victims, Saarek determined that the beings responsible were a sub-group of the Sinestro Corps known as the Quintet. 
Not too long after this, he was commanded by the Scarred Guardian to search and contain the spirit and armor of the Anti-Monitor in a secret solo mission. However, he eventually found Green Lantern Ash, apparently following the same orders, down to the part where he believed he was acting alone. They did not get along, as Saarek channeled the spirit of Ash's beloved to try to soothe him and dissuade him from continuing his destructive vengeance quest.
In the end, both made their way to Ryut and found the spirit of the Anti-Monitor imprisoned within the Black Power Battery, and Saarek collapsed due to the strain of the countless deceased screaming in his ear. Soon after that, they were attacked by a pair of huge rotting hands and both died. Both were seen in Coast City at the summoning of Nekron, turned into Black Lanterns.
- Necromancy: Possibly a natural ability of his people, Saarek possesses the ability to telepathically commune with the dead. He can also perceive visual impressions of an individual's identity and personality through physical contact with the decedent.
- Indomitable Will: Saarek possesses an indomitable strength of will, which makes him an asset to the Green Lantern Corps.
If Saarek overextends his necromantic abilities, he risks rupturing a vessel in his head, causing him to bleed.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In his original appearance, Saarek was depicted with the "arched and upswept eyebrows" and pointed ears typical of the Vulcans from Star Trek. He also gave fellow Lantern Hal Jordan the "Live Long and Prosper" hand sign as a farewell greeting. The sign serves as the Vulcan salute in Star Trek. Saarek is thus depicted as a typical Vulcan.
- The name Saarek is reminiscent of Ambassador Sarek, a Vulcan diplomat of Star Trek fame. Better known as father to Spock, a Human/Vulcan hybrid.
- 10 Appearances of Saarek (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Saarek (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Saarek (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Saarek (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."