This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
Sam Simeon originally hales from Gorilla City, a city in the jungles of Africa populated by intelligent gorillas. He possessed amazing intelligence and force of mind capabilities, powers granted due to being the grandson of Gorilla Grodd.
Professor Theo O'Day and his daughter Angel who were on holiday traveling in Africa. The O'Days were impressed with the partially talking ape originally Sam spoke in his native gorilla then English (Oook eek blog Angel? How's it shakin' Angel?). Invited to accompany the O'days back home to America Sam decided to join them -- partially in attraction to living a better personal life using his drawing talents and partially to stop Angel from pestering him.
Arriving in New York City, Sam successfully used his art skills and was employed as an artist for DC Comics. He occasionally joins his friend Angel in her detective agency activities more as a chaperone than an actual partner though Angel rarely needs protection as she is fairly lethal when angered, though is usually portrayed as "bubble-headed" the rest of the time. Sam and Angel in recent history became estranged after a period of time preferring mostly to work together only select occasions for various personal reasons despite their personal friendship which some think will still develop beyond their original levels.
- Genius-Level Intellect: with knowledge of technology beyond the development of human civilization
- Sam Simeon was originally portrayed as a partially talking, competent ape who lived and worked among human beings. Most of the original adventures were clearly shown with people reacting to the fact that they found out that Sam was in fact an actual large gorilla.
Later on he was retconned to be the grandson of Gorilla Grodd and had actual limited mental powers that he could use to make a limited number of people see him as a human being, however should he break concentration, they would see him as an ape. He once operated a full time detective agency with Angel O'Day which he still occasionally does.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 31 Appearances of Sam Simeon (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Sam Simeon (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Sam Simeon (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Sam Simeon (New Earth)