A new super-hero hits the streets of Metropolis – Blackrock. Superman tries to save a runaway hang-glider from crashing into buildings, but Blackrock hogs the spotlight, taking credit for the "save" himself. Superman suspects that Blackrock may be placing people in danger just so he can save them.
Back at the GBS station, Clark begins suffering from bizarre mental flashbacks. He continues to see images of his own news broadcasts flashing through his head. He doesn't have time to investigate it however, as a robbery is taking place at a jewelry store. Blackrock arrives and stops the thieves, knocking them out. Superman berates him for the haphazard way in which he handled the situation.
Superman later learns that Blackrock is actually Sam Tanner, president of UBC, a broadcasting station that competes with Galaxy Broadcasting. Sam wanted to market his own super-hero, and so he had inventor Pete Silverstone invent the Blackrock technology. But what Sam doesn't realize is that he is Blackrock. He doesn't remember the time he spends as a superhero.
Superman squares off with Blackrock and defeats him. With Pete Silverstone's help, he scrambles the broadcasting technology that Blackrock has been using to power his arsenal. Blackrock turns back into Sam Tanner with no knowledge of his alter-ego.
- This version of Samuel Tanner (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 4 Appearances of Samuel Tanner (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Samuel Tanner (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Samuel Tanner (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Samuel Tanner (Earth-One)