The Sand Superman (sometimes referred to as the "Sand Thing", the "Sand Creature", and the "Sandman Superman") was an entity consisting of psychic energy from Quarrm, soil from Earth, and power siphoned from Superman. Neither entirely human nor alien, the existence of the sand being on Earth causes many problems for Superman, as he deals with the ramifications of lost powers and injuries (including brain damage) resulting from them.
Created from a temporary portal between Earth and the Quarrm dimension during an explosion, the Sand Superman is initially mainly interested in draining power and knowledge from Superman for its own sake. However, as it gains and loses energy during its existence, it comes to more and more take on a desire to act as Superman does, as a being that serves unselfishly as a super-hero. However, two things make it impossible for the Sand Superman to remain on an Earth with Superman, the fact that it takes on power only when Superman loses it and the fact that because it is composed of alternatively-charged atoms, any contact with the Man of Steel would result in a cataclysmic explosion that would destroy the planet.
The mystic philosopher I-Ching puts Superman and The Sand Superman into a trance where they see the destructive results of a direct conflict between them. Because of this, the Sand Superman returns to the Quarrm dimensional realm, but as a result it takes about 1/3 of Superman's total powers and abilities with him, at least for a time.
- Power Absorption: Seemingly, Quarrmer can drain only Superman's powers; permanent (Superman was reduced to only one half of his original power level during that saga).
- Thermal-Blast: Quarrmer will emit a powerful explosion if Superman touch him.
- Enhanced Senses: Quarrmer can detect Superman by his aura.
- Dimensional Travel: Seemingly only between the Quarmer Dimension and the Earth.
- Self-Sustenance: As a sand creature, Quarrmer doesn't need eat, drink or air.
- This version of Sand Superman (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 11 Appearances of Sand Superman (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Sand Superman (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Sand Superman (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Sand Superman (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."