Sarah Simms was a teacher at the West Side School for the Handicapped in New York City. Sarah specialized in helping children come to terms with physical disabilities and was often considered one of the favored instructors at the school. Sarah had a brief relationship with a co-worker named Mark Wright, but soon broke it off. Mark, bitter and refusing to acknowledge that Sarah didn't want to be with him, began nursing a deep-seated jealousy – one that would eventually erupt into violent action. Sarah also had a relationship with another co-worker named Gary Sellers.
While taking her students to the park one afternoon, Sarah met Victor Stone, the Teen Titan member known as Cyborg. Like her students, many of Stone's limbs had been replaced with artificial prosthetics. Vic quickly endeared himself to both Sarah and her students. He began to develop feelings for her, but knew that Sarah's first love would always be her children.
Association with a known super-hero always places people in mortal danger, and Sarah was no exception to this rule. The Titans' adversary the Terminator, under contract to the H.I.V.E., kidnapped Sarah Simms as a means of getting to the Titans. Vic and the others fought against the Terminator and Sarah was rescued.
Sarah’s failed relationship with Mark Wright soon came back to haunt her. Mark became obsessed with Sarah and insisted that the two were engaged to be married. Mark kidnapped Sarah and held her hostage, injuring several people at a sporting goods store in the process. Sarah managed to make an emergency telephone call to Titans Tower and they were able to stop Mark and save Sarah without any further violence.
Sarah and Victor remained close friends for several years. After Victor went through a series of dramatic changes in both body and personality however, the two began to lose contact with one another.
- Pedagogy Sarah is a proficient teacher and specializes in dealing with special needs students, particularly young children who are having trouble coping with physical disabilities. When one of Sarah's students first encountered Vic Stone, he was completely unfazed at seeing Victor's cybernetic enhancements - a true testament to Sarah's ability at helping kids understand that a person's physical handicaps are not characteristic of who they are as a human being.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 38 Appearances of Sarah Simms (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Sarah Simms (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Sarah Simms (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Sarah Simms (New Earth)