"Superman": This excerpt was originally printed in Action Comics #1.
Appearing in "Superman"
- Superman (First appearance) (Origin)
- Jor-L (First appearance; unnamed) (Behind the scenes)
- Kryptonian Rocket (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Superman"
This excerpt was originally printed in Action Comics #1.
Appearing in "Legend: The Batman and How He Came to Be"
- Batman (Origin)
- Martha Wayne (First appearance) (Dies in flashback)
- Thomas Wayne (First appearance) (Dies in flashback)
- Joe Chill (First appearance; unnamed) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Legend: The Batman and How He Came to Be"
This excerpt was originally printed in Detective Comics #33.
Fifteen years ago, Bruce Wayne is walking home from a movie with his father Thomas Wayne and his mother. They are approached by a mugger who tries to grab his mother's necklace. Thomas Wayne shouts for the mugger to leave her alone, and menaces him. The mugger shoots Thomas Wayne dead, saying that he asked for it. Bruce's mother is horrified and calls for the police. The mugger shoots and kills her also so she'll stop screaming. The young Bruce is horrified. Several days later, he kneels next to his bed by candlelight and makes a solemn vow. He swears by the spirit of his parents to avenge their deaths, by spending the rest of his life warring on all criminals. Years pass and Bruce Wayne prepares for this career. He becomes a master scientist, and trains his body to physical perfection. Finally, one night he is sitting in his father's mansion thinking about his future. His father's estate left him wealthy, but he needs a disguise. He knows that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, so his disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. He must become a black, terrible, creature of the night. Just then a huge bat flies through the open window, like an answer to his question. Bruce Wayne declares that this is an omen, and he shall become a bat. Thus was born this weird figure of the dark... this avenger of evil... The Batman.
Appearing in "The Ghost"
- The Ghost (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Ghost"
This story is reprinted from Flash Comics #88.
The Ghost and his gang pull a series of crimes, and Hawkman investigates. He reveals some of the Ghosts tricks, and captures some of his henchmen, but in the end the Ghost gets away, and Hawkman is left to wonder if he might be a real ghost after all.
Appearing in "Mystery of the Human Thunderbolt"
- Iris West (First appearance)
- Turtle Man (First appearance)
- The Flash (Jay Garrick) (comic book)
- Central City (First appearance)
- Central City Police Department Scientific Detection Bureau (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Mystery of the Human Thunderbolt"
This story is reprinted from Showcase #4.
The story introduces readers to Barry Allen, a police scientist who one day is doused with chemicals that are struck by lightening. Barry soon finds that he has been endowed with super-speed, and so creates a costume (which contracts and hides in his ring) and takes on the name of his favorite comic book character: The Flash.
In his first mission as the Flash, Barry goes after the criminal known as the Turtle Man, dubbed the worlds slowest man. The Turtle Man tries to rob a bank, however he is ultimately thwarted by the Flash, who has troubles catching him at first because his super-speed would work against him while going up against the worlds slowest man. Ultimately, the Flash captures his opponent and turns him over to the police.
- The full title for this series is Secret Origins of Super-Heroes and Super-Villains.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Secret Origins Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Secret Origins series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Hawkman Recommended Reading
- The Flash Recommended Reading