"The Secret Origin of Man-Bat": A mysterious bat-like creature gets into a fight with a band of masked criminals clad only in black. The crime scene earns the attention of the Batman who takes an acute interest in this case. While investigating, he r
- Is there a race of half-men, half-bat that live deep in the caves of Gotham? Did I meet one of them tonight?
- -- Batman
Appearing in "The Secret Origin of Man-Bat"
- Martha Wayne (Flashback only)
- Thomas Wayne (Flashback only)
- Curator Wilkins
- Mister Langstrom (First appearance)
- Mrs. Langstrom (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Secret Origin of Man-Bat"
A mysterious bat-like creature gets into a fight with a band of masked criminals clad only in black. The crime scene earns the attention of the Batman who takes an acute interest in this case. While investigating, he recalls a man named Kirk Langstrom. Langstrom first gained notoriety when, as a child, he was lost for six weeks in the caverns below Gotham City.
The experience changed Langstrom forever. As an adult he became a scientist and devoted himself towards the study of bats. It was his hope that by duplicating a bat's sonar abilities, he could find a way to cure human diseases. He created a formula from a bat gland extract and experimented upon himself. The serum produced highly unexpected side effects as it transformed Kirk Langstrom into a Man-Bat.
Now the Man-Bat was beginning to make his presence known throughout the city. Batman investigates further and meets Langstrom's fiancée, Francine Lee. He pressures Francine into telling him what he needs to know and by doing so, learns that Langstrom is the Man-Bat. Batman and Francine track the Man-Bat down to Biochem, Ltd. where they find him stealing a vial of chemicals. Batman fights with him and during the conflict, the beaker breaks. This was Langstrom's only hope for returning to normal. Enraged, he dives out the window and flies off.
Blaming himself for shattering Langstrom's hopes for ever becoming human, the Batman returns to the Batcave wondering if he will ever encounter the elusive Man-Bat again.
Appearing in "The Myth of the Creation"
- Skipper the dog
Synopsis for "The Myth of the Creation"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- "The Secret Origin of Man-Bat" recaps events originally presented in Detective Comics #400.
- "The Myth of the Creation" storyline continues in Animal Man #10.
- This issue theorizes that the bat that crashed through the Wayne Manor study inspiring Bruce Wayne to become the Batman was one of Kirk Langstrom's test subjects that escaped from his laboratory some time prior to Langstrom becoming the Man-Bat.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Secret Origins Vol 2 39 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Secret Origins series
Links and References
- No external links.