|Relatives||Lissa (father), Mawu (mother), Damballah, Sagbata, Ogun, Gu, Maou (brothers), Oya (wife)|
|Affiliation||The Gods of Africa|
|Base Of Operations||Ifé, the realm of the African Gods|
|Occupation||God of storm and thunder, War Chief of the African Gods|
|Origin||Shango was a royal ancestor of the Yoruba as third king of the Oyo Kingdom.|
|Creators||John Ostrander, Tom Mandrake|
Shango is one of the Orishas, a extra-dimensional race of beings still worshipped as gods Africa and as members of the Loa or patron gods of Voodoo. Shango has manifested himself on Earth several times over the centuries, and has even appeared in the modern era. On two occasions, the lord of storms has found himself in conflict against the elemental Firestorm. At the conclusion of their first encounter, Shango decided to peacefully study humanity in the hopes of earning the respect and reverence that all gods crave. Shango was one of dozens of deities who appeared on the Earth during the "War of the Gods". Manipulated by the machinations of the sorceress Circe, Shango sought to pave a way for the return of Oshunmare (the Yoruba god of rebirth). He unleashed the full power of his fury on the city of Harar in Ogaden, Africa. Firestorm returned to combat him, this time accompanied by his colleague Firehawk. They soon realized, that Shango's actions were not entirely his own and that other dark forces were likewise at work.
- Immortality: As a god, Shango is virtually immortal. He cannot be destroyed through conventional means, and he will never age.
- Elemental Control: Shango can manipulate patterns of weather and create raging storms of rain, thunder and lightning. Shango's limitations with this ability, if any, are unknown.
Shango wields a giant war hammer, similar in function to that used by the Nordic God of Thunder, Thor.
- This character is an adaptation of Shango, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- 8 Appearances of Shango (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Shango (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Shango (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Shango (New Earth)
- Shango at dccomics.com
- Shango (DC Comics) at Wikipedia.org
- DCU Guide: Shango
- Shango at the Guide to the Mythological Universe
- The Loa at the Guide to the Mythological Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: