Shazam was a three-thousand-year-old wizard of great power. With the ability to call upon the aptitudes of the great elders such as Achilles, Atlas, Hercules, Mercury, Solomon and Zeus, Shazam also has the ability to bestow great power unto a selected champion.
In the 1940s, Shazam found such a virtuous person to inherit these powers -- ten-year-old Billy Batson. When Billy first met him, Shazam explained that his name was an acronym for six Greco-Roman deities, heroes, and prophets and that these deities empowered him with certain attributes. Shazam informed Billy that he has been using his powers for many centuries to fight the forces of evil, but that he was now old and not long for this world. He, therefore, passed along part of his power to Billy, who shouted his name — "SHAZAM!" — to transform into the superhero Captain Marvel. Although Shazam was killed — as prophesied — by a giant granite block falling on him, Billy/Marvel could summon the ghost of Shazam for guidance by lighting a special brazier (a torch-like apparatus) in Shazam's lair, the Rock of Eternity.
- This version of Shazam (Earth-S), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Shazam #1 was Shazam's first appearance in a comic published by DC Comics.
- 43 Appearances of Shazam (Earth-S)
- 4 Images featuring Shazam (Earth-S)
- 5 Quotations by or about Shazam (Earth-S)
- Character Gallery: Shazam (Earth-S)