"The Return of Black Adam": Sivana again uses his Reincarnation Machine, this time to bring back Teth Adam. Adam says the magic word and becomes Black Adam. Before Billy Batson, Shazam picked Teth Adam to wield the power of Shazam 5,000 year before. But Black Adam used his powers for evil. He wa
Appearing in "The Return of Black Adam"
- Captain Marvel (Flashback and main story)
- Uncle Dudley (Flashback and main story)
- Shazam (Flashback and main story)
- Mary Marvel (Flashback only)
- Captain Marvel, Jr. (Flashback only)
- Paul Revere (In 1773)
- Unknown Pharaoh (Flashback only)
- Soldiers of the Pharaoh (Flashback only)
- Native Americans (In 1773)
Synopsis for "The Return of Black Adam"
Sivana again uses his Reincarnation Machine, this time to bring back Teth Adam. Adam says the magic word and becomes Black Adam. Before Billy Batson, Shazam picked Teth Adam to wield the power of Shazam 5,000 year before. But Black Adam used his powers for evil. He was banished but returned to fight the Marvel Family. Tricked into saying “Shazam” Black Adam reverted to his mortal self and crumbled to dust. Black Adam confronts Cap in Boston. Their battle nearly destroys the USS Constitution and the statue of Paul Revere before Cap loses track of Black Adam. Billy Batson seeks the advice of Shazam, who recaps Black Adam’s origins and his first meeting with Captain Marvel. Meanwhile, Sivana convinces Adam to get revenge on the old wizard – hoping that if Black Adam destroys Shazam, he will also destroy himself AND the Big Red Cheese! Captain Marvel spots Black Adam and gives chase into eternity. Cap pitches Adam in the wrong direction and they end up in America’s past during the Boston Tea Party (1773). The battle resumes and Black Adam collides with Captain Marvel, shouts “Shazam” and moves away at super-speed. The lightning bolt hits Cap instead and turns him back into Billy Batson. Black Adam ties up Batson and tosses him into Boston Harbor. Billy swims to the surface and is rescued by Paul Revere disguised as a Native (on their way to dump crates of tea). Black Adam, realizing Sivana’s trickery, abandons his plan to seek revenge against Shazam and returns to 1976 to confront Uncle Dudley/Mentor, who tricked Adam originally to revert to Teth Adam. Magic lightning strikes twice – Dudley again tricks Black Adam into saying the magic word and revert to Teth. Captain Marvel uses an amnesia punch to make Teth forget about his dual identity! Billy receives a note from Sivana – his next target is Niagara Falls! The final panel says he will be helped by Ibac and Aunt Minerva!
- This is Black Adam's second appearance in comics and his first appearance since Golden Age/Fawcett Publications. His first was Marvel Family #1 (Dec. 1945)
- Dudley wears a mustache in order to look like Mentor, character of the Shazam! TV Series; other elements were also incorporated due to the influence of the TV series, such as the van, the Eterni-phone and the fact that he and Billy are traveling.
- It is not the first time that Capt. Marvel visits Boston; he has been before in the city on Captain Marvel Adventures #40.
- Keeping in mind that Shazam refers to Black Adam being summoned by him over 5000 years ago, probably the murdered Pharaoh may be from the First Dynasty of Egypt.
- For the first time, Shazam explains how Black Adam had similar powers with Captain Marvel once Solomon, Hercules and Achilles were not yet born 5000 years ago. Actually Black Adam derived his powers from Egyptian Gods: Shu (stamina); Hershef (strenght), Amon (power); Zehuti (wisdom); Anpu (speed) and Menthu (courage).
- Historically, this is the second time which a Shazam-powered person dodge from his own lightning bolt to hit an opponent; Firstly, Captain Marvel used this strategy to stop a maddened Superman in Justice League of America Vol 1 137.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Shazam Vol 1 28 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Shazam series
- Images from Shazam Vol 1 28
Links and References
- No external links.
This comic page is missing characters!
This comic page is missing one or more character, location or item appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the comic issue template.