"Captain Marvel Fights the Man of Steel": Billy Batson and Uncle Dudley travel to Ft. Pitt in Pittsburgh, where they discover that Doctor Sivana broke into the facility and stole a copy of a DC Comics comic book. In his hidden lair, Sivana reads about the adventures
- Curses! It's the Big Red Cheese!
Appearing in "Captain Marvel Fights the Man of Steel"
- Captain Marvel, Jr.
- Mary Marvel
- Uncle Marvel
- Lieutenant Marvels
- Joe Magarac (Single appearance)
- A steel mill worker, whose great-grandfather was Croatian
Synopsis for "Captain Marvel Fights the Man of Steel"
Billy Batson and Uncle Dudley travel to Ft. Pitt in Pittsburgh, where they discover that Doctor Sivana broke into the facility and stole a copy of a DC Comics comic book. In his hidden lair, Sivana reads about the adventures of Superman and decides to create his own Man of Steel. He produces a robotic brain and then dumps it into a smelting vat at a local steel factory. The molten metal forms around the robotic brain, taking the form of an old folk hero, Joe Magarac.
As Joe Magarac begins sabotaging the steelworks, Billy Batson changes into a Captain Marvel and confronts him. He punches him through the ceiling, but Magarac comes back and later captures the hero while he is in his human guise of Billy Batson. Sivana has Magarac place a metal gag across Billy's mouth, but Billy manages to trick Joe Magarac into removing it, thereby allowing him to transform back into Captain Marvel.
Captain Marvel uses the eterni-phone to consult with the elders. The spirit of Atlas informs Marvel that he will need the aid of the entire Marvel Family to stop Sivana's scheme. Captain Marvel flies across the country and rounds up Captain Marvel, Jr., Mary Marvel and the Lieutenant Marvels. They all return to Pittsburgh, and Captain Marvel has one final showdown with Joe Magarac. He succeeds in defeating him, and apprehends Sivana.
- Despite the image depicted on the cover, Superman does not actually appear inside this comic book.
- Dudley wears a mustache in order to look like Mentor, character of the Shazam! TV Series; other elements were also incorporated due to the influence of the TV series, such as the van, the Eterni-phone and the fact that he and Billy are traveling.
- Joe Magarac is an actual American folk hero who protected the steel workers of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Doctor Sivana is inspired to create his own Man of Steel by reading a copy of Action Comics #467; On Earth-S, Superman is only a comic book character.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Shazam Vol 1 30 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Shazam series
- Images from Shazam Vol 1 30
- Captain Marvel Adventures
- Captain Marvel, Jr.
- Hoppy the Marvel Bunny
- Marvel Family
- Master Comics
- Power of Shazam
- Shazam: The New Beginning
- Superman/Shazam - First Thunder
- Trials of Shazam
- Whiz Comics
Links and References
- Captain Marvel article at Wikipedia
- Captain Marvel article at Toonopedia
- Captain Marvel biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Marvel Family article at Toonopedia
- Shazam article at Wikipedia
- Shazam profile at DCU Guide
- Shazam series index at the Grand Comics Database Project