Appearing in "The School for Smoke-Eaters"
- Fred Farrell (First appearance)
- Red Miller (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Beth Farrell (Fred's mother) (Single appearance)
- Fred "Old Smoky" Farrell, Sr. (Fred's father) (Dies in flashback)
- Clark (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Noonan (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Gainer (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Pompier (hook ladder)
- Foam Extinguisher
Synopsis for "The School for Smoke-Eaters"
Fred Farrell is preparing for his final exam to become a firefighter. His mother proudly regales the story of his father, "Old Smokey", a heroic fireman who died in the line of duty.
When it's time for the final test, Fred is put on the Hook and Ladder company and is tasked with rescuing a dummy victim from a burning building. While he is up on the ladder performing his "rescue", he notices that the fire may be an oil fire, which should be fought with foam rather than water. However, when he informs firefighter Red Miller, his rival, of his suspicion, Miller ignores him and heads up with a hose.
When Red doesn't come back down, Fred races up to save Miller, who fell unconcious from the carbon dioxide. Fred rescues him and uses foam to put out the blaze. He passes his final exam with Miller shaking his hand as a friend.
Appearing in "Fire Under the Big Top"
- Fire Lieutenant Reiner (Single appearance)
- Phil Baylor (ringmaster) (Single appearance)
- Tony (animal tamer) (Single appearance)
- George (a child) (Single appearance)
- Caesar (a lion) (Single appearance)
- Toby (a baby elephant) (Single appearance)
- Center City
- Funland Carnival
- Safety Belt
Synopsis for "Fire Under the Big Top"
A careless ringmaster of a circus shoots off fireworks without a license and accidentally sets fire to the big-top! Fred helps rescue a little boy who is trapped inside the tent, then assists the animal tamer in rounding up the fleeing circus animals.
Appearing in "Fourth Alarm"
- Edgar R. Meadow (television host) (Single appearance)
- Charley (interviewer) (Single appearance)
- Captain Walsh (firefighter captain) (Single appearance)
- Mr. Conrad (warehouse owner) (Single appearance)
- Harold Mills (voter) (Single appearance)
- Mary Burke (voter) (Single appearance)
- Tommy Burke (Mary's son) (Single appearance)
- Bill (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Sam (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Joe (firefighter) (Single appearance)
- Cellar Pipes (hoses for fighting below-surface fires)
- Television Van
- Fire Boat
Synopsis for "Fourth Alarm"
A television show is reporting on how the citizens plan to vote for a new tax-increase to help fund the firefighters of Center City. Most do not want their taxes raised. When the television crew is allowed to follow the firefighters along to fight a fire at the pier, they record all the risks and dangers the men put themselves through to battle the blaze. Watching at home, each voter starts to have a change of heart for these brave men.
Back at the pier, the owner of the warehouse by the pier, Mr. Conrad, is questioned. The fire captain has warned him in the past about faulty wiring in one of his terminals, but the man denies that it caused the fire, saying he had the terminal corrected. When the warehouse itself catches fire, the firefighters quickly shoo the tv crew away, though their cameras in the truck are still recording. Mr. Conrad is caught on film rushing into the burning building and retrieving the faulty terminal, attempting to destroy the evidence. He is caught however, when the wall of the building threatens to come down on him and he yells for help. Thanks to the recorded video, Conrad is convicted. Meanwhile, the vote to give firefighters more funding passes, due to the heroics the citizens witnessed on camera.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Showcase Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Showcase series
Links and References
- No external links.