"Maniaks: "What Swings, Fiddle Strings?"": The Maniaks have just finished another performance when they are approached by Woody Allen. He has decided they would be perfect for a new musical he has written set during the Civil War. The boys seem interested but [[Silver Shannon (New Earth)|S
Appearing in Maniaks: "What Swings, Fiddle Strings?"
- Woody Allen (Single appearance)
- Carnaby Rudge (Single appearance)
- Floyd (Single appearance)
- George M. Coldham
- Grubby Haynes (Single appearance)
- Jeannette Punchinello (Single appearance)
- Marjorie Maim (Single appearance)
- Milo Hackencouph (Single appearance)
- Rock Hutsut (Single appearance)
- Twiggly (Single appearance)
- Vivien Leigh (Mentioned only)
- Walter Kerr (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for Maniaks: "What Swings, Fiddle Strings?"
The Maniaks have just finished another performance when they are approached by Woody Allen. He has decided they would be perfect for a new musical he has written set during the Civil War. The boys seem interested but Silver Shannon only agrees after Allen sets financial terms.
Soon, Allen has hired the remaining cast and crew. The musical begins rehearsals, though the critics hate it. Allen brings in a play doctor but it turns out the man was the wrong kind of play doctor. The musical goes on to do a few warm-up performances before debuting on Broadway.
The play introduces the key characters, a male and a female Confederate spy sent to spy on a Union fort, and the supporting cast. After several musical numbers, the spies each realize they are love with someone from the north. Shortly after, they are captured and placed on trial. If they are convicted, both will hang. Midway through the trial, a courier arrives with important news: The war ended over a year ago. Since the war was over before the spies were even arrived, they are released.
The play ends and Allen anxiously awaits the reviews. The Maniaks aren't very interested; they are awaiting word on whether or not their tryout in Showcase was successful and encourage readers to buy their book.
- Twiggly is an expy for real-life model Twiggy. Similarly, Grubby Haynes is Gabby Hayes, Jeannette Punchinello is Annette Funicello, Marjorie Maim is Marjorie Main and Milo Hackencouph is Groucho Marx. Despite his name, Rock Hutsut does not appear to be based on Rock Hudson.
- As mentioned in a footnote, George M. Coldham previously appeared in Inferior Five #2. However, since the Inferior Five exist on Earth-Twelve and this story is set on Earth-One, there must be counterparts of Coldham on both Earths.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Showcase Vol 1 71 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Showcase series
Links and References
- No external links.