Laura Cynthia Neilsen was the superheroine known as the Silver Sorceress. She along with Blue Jay and Wandjina came from another world called Angor, the only survivors of a nuclear holocaust. They came to Earth after being manipulated into seeking revenge for the destruction of their world against the Justice League. After an initial mistake each other as villains, the two teams unite to fight the robots that originally manipulated them both.
The Silver Sorceress and her team sought refuge on Earth and attempt to destroy this Earth's stockpile of nuclear weapons in the hopes of preventing the devastations that destroyed Angor from affecting Earth as well, before being confronted by the Justice League and the Rocket Red Brigade. Wandjina sacrificed himself to save innocent people from a nuclear meltdown. She and Blue Jay turned themselves to the Russian authorities.
The Sorceress and Blue Jay later escaped from Russian custody. While Blue Jay sought the Justice League for help, the Sorceress returned to Angor. Unfortunately, she discovered the Extremists, a Angorian meta-human villain responsible for the destruction of her home world, and was captured and tortured to bring them to Earth, where they intend to taking over the planet. From her mind, Dreamslayer extracted a path to Earth. The Sorceress was taken to a theme park known as Wacky World and under the prisoner of Carny. Justice League Europe managed to rescue the Sorceress, but also along with one of the few survivors of Angor, a celebrity entertainer known as Mitch Wacky. Mitch was actually being held prisoner by robotic versions of the Extremists. The Sorceress soon learned Mitch was dying of the flu, an ailment that is easily remedied back on Earth. This terrible news came as another brutal reminder of how different her people were to her teammates, of how alone she still felt on Earth. Silver Sorceress helped the League confront and battle the android Extremists, and discovered that Dreamslayer was the only surviving Extremists; in which the Sorceress cast a spell which destroyed Dreamslayer's body. The Silver Sorceress and Blue Jay decided to remain on Earth and joining the European Branch of the Justice League International.
She remains with the team as an active member until her death at the hands of Dreamslayer, whose essence manages to take over the mind of Maxwell Lord, a close friend and leader of various aspects of the Justice League. Using Lord's persuasions powers, he took over the mobile island of Kooey Kooey Kooey, using it and kidnapping Mitch Wacky as a base to rebuild the Extremists. When Mitch is not needed anymore, he is brutally killed. Silver and the League attack the island and its natives that were brainwashed into fighting back. Silver falls victim to the need not to hurt the innocent natives and she ends up shot in the stomach with an arrow. As she lay dying, she managed to subdue and entrap Dreamslayer, temporarily ending his threat. The League members bury Silver Sorceress on Kooey Kooey Kooey island. Despite the fact they all lost a friend, none were as affected by her death as much as Blue Jay, for now he was literally the last of his people.
The time-traveler known as Waverider visited the Justice League Europe on his own mission and finds himself viewing an alternate, highly probable 'future' of Silver's. In it, she accidentally travels far back in time and is saved from a large predator by the over-enthusiastic hero known as Anthro. She is eventually returned to her timeline by a time-traveling Elongated Man.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Magic: Silver Sorceress is a magic user of advanced abilities. While she had to use a combination of magic and technology to create the original doorway from Angor to that of the Justice League, she is later able to do so with magic alone.
- The Silver Sorceress is an homage to the Marvel Comics character Scarlet Witch. Like all her teammates, she is an analogue for a member of the Avengers.
- Silver Sorceress makes a brief cameo appearance in issue #4 of the JLA/Avengers crossover miniseries.
- In Showcase #63 (July-August 1966), the Inferior Five faced a team of supervillains based on Marvel Comics Avengers. This team has a member named that Silver Sorceress that is also based on Marvel's Scarlet Witch; however, she is otherwise unrelated to the version from Angor.
- 36 Appearances of Laura Cynthia Neilsen (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Laura Cynthia Neilsen (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Laura Cynthia Neilsen (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Laura Cynthia Neilsen (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.