- I have to undo the wrong and then the pain will go away.
- -- Simon Dark
Appearing in "Dead Boys Dream"
- Eddie the Machete
- Mister Dodds
- Simon Dark's parents (In dream sequence only)
Synopsis for "Dead Boys Dream"
Simon awakens in the cellar of Webb's Market after having a dream about his childhood. He's frightened when he sees Beth Granger and shouts that he doesn't want her to cut him up again. He darts past her and races up the stairs. He climbs to the roof of the building and collapses in the snow. Simon begins to feel guilty for taking the Edgar Allan Poe book from Rachel Dodds, and decides to return it to her. He returns to his underground crypt to retrieve it, but cultist Vincent's disembodied eye spies him. Now he knows where Simon lives.
At Rachel's apartment, Rachel bids goodnight to her father and goes to the kitchen for a snack. Eddie the Machete breaks into her home and holds a knife to her throat. Simon Dark creeps through a window, picks up a nearby saw blade and prepares to kill Eddie. Rachel screams "No!", so Simon punches Eddie instead, knocking him unconscious. Simon uncomfortably introduces himself to Rachel and returns her book. As her father begins descending the stairs, Simon darts back out the window.
Later, Tom Kirk goes to the Sacred Martyr Church. He finds Vincent's eyeball nestled in a crack in a wall and plucks it free. Speaking to the eye, he tells it that he has the situation under control and does not need any help. He then tosses the eyeball into the air and bats with a rolled up newspaper. Miles away, Vincent begins screaming in pain, clutching at his empty eye socket.
Tom then meets up with Beth and the two share dinner at a diner to discuss the case. Beth doesn't tell him about her experience at Webb's Market. After dinner, they go to Tom's office where they find the bound and gagged body of Eddie the Machete slumped on top of Tom's desk. Attached to him is a note which reads, "Please don't hurt me. I want to help".
- This issue shipped on December 12th, 2007.
- Includes DC Nation editorial #91 by Dan DiDio. DiDio discusses veteran DC Comics artist Keith Giffen.
- Possibly the earliest chronological appearance of Simon Dark. As the flashback was seen only in a dream however, the validity of this appearance is a matter of speculation.
- Tom's surname, Kirk, is revealed in this issue.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Simon Dark Vol 1 3 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Simon Dark series
Links and References
- Simon Dark series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Simon Dark series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Simon Dark article at Wikipedia