"I Was the Man with Animal Powers": Buddy Baker, a meek mild-mannered mouse of a man, gains superhuman abilities when his body is exposed to the radiation from a crashed alien spacecraft. He is in the countryside on a hunting trip with his friend [[Roger Denning (N
- There I was in the wilderness -- attacking a ten-ton elephant that had gone berserk! A fool-hardy action for any man -- any normal man. But you see, I was more than that -- I had suddenly found myself gifted with incredible abilities that no mortal man had ever known, for... I was the man with animal powers.
- -- Buddy Baker
Appearing in "I Was the Man with Animal Powers"
- Buddy Baker (First appearance)
- Roger Denning (First appearance)
- Alien Monster
- Ellen Frazier (First appearance)
Synopsis for "I Was the Man with Animal Powers"
Buddy Baker, a meek mild-mannered mouse of a man, gains superhuman abilities when his body is exposed to the radiation from a crashed alien spacecraft. He is in the countryside on a hunting trip with his friend Roger Denning, when he finds himself attacked by all manner of strange beasts. A circus train has derailed, and the animals have escaped. Beset by tigers and gorillas and elephants, Buddy finds himself able to harness the powers of each creature and use them against each other. He agrees to help the local professionals track down and recapture the animals. Amidst the chaos, the alien life form who came to Earth attacks a nearby town. Buddy takes it as his responsibility to stop the monster at all costs, and finds that it has powers rivaling his own. In the middle of the fight, his animal enhancements begin to fade, and he is forced to flee. Regrouping, he tries a new approach. Buddy gets a mouse, and brings it to the extraterrestrial, enforcing timid and meek characteristics onto it. Now that it's afraid of him, he backs it off of a cliff and it plunges to its death. Buddy is proclaimed a hero in all of the local papers for his daring triumph. Back at home, he is trying to work up the courage to ask his girlfriend Ellen to marry him. Mustering up as much bravery as he can, he proposes... she accepts, and he promptly faints into her arms.
Appearing in "One Monster -- Coming Up"
Synopsis for "One Monster -- Coming Up"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- This is the first appearance of Buddy Baker although he won't appear as Animal Man until Strange Adventures #190.
- The first story is repeated in flashback almost panel-for-panel in Secret Origins (Volume 2) #39, as part of Grant Morrison's updated retelling of Animal Man's origins.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Strange Adventures Vol 1 180 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Strange Adventures series
Links and References
- No external links.