Three aliens (Manatu, Suba, and Rano) arrive on a ruined Earth and make their way to the Hall of the Justice. There they learn via the computer that Superman was the last survivor of a great disaster caused by the Legion of Doom. They then use the computer to learn the history of Lex Luthor, Gigan
Appearing in "History of Doom"
Synopsis for "History of Doom"
Three aliens (Manatu, Suba, and Rano) arrive on a ruined Earth and make their way to the Hall of the Justice. There they learn via the computer that Superman was the last survivor of a great disaster caused by the Legion of Doom. They then use the computer to learn the history of Lex Luthor, Giganta, the formation of both the Super Friends and Legion of Doom, as well as part of the events of The Giants of Doom and Revenge on Gorilla City. However the remaining tapes are damaged and so they seek out and find the Hall of Doom.
There they learn that Luthor caused a solar flare and to prevent Superman from intercepting the flare turns the sun red. The Super Friends turn on the planetary forcefield but discover to their horror that the flare interacts with the forcefield forming a radioactive energy belt that causes the Earth break up.
Manatu uses his mental powers to turn time back and Suba states that it seems that the Superfriends will simply relive the same fate so Manatu uses his mental powers to move the moon to block the flare. Superman comments that the Legion of Doom should have checked their almanac and Luthor appears on the view screen saying they did check the lunar tables and there was no eclipse for that day.
Bloopers & Inconsistencies
Even in a fictitious reality that accepts the notion of super-powered individuals, this episode still demonstrates several logistical improbabilities.
- Because this make references to previous events this story's very premise has many continuity problems. Between the two of them both the Legion of Doom and Superfriends had the means to undo Luthor's blunder: the Interspacial Time Conveyor built into the Hall of Doom, the Monolith, the mental matter ray (turn any thought into instant reality), and the time travel abilities of Flash, Batman, and Black Vulcan. Heck, if the Legion of Doom had really been as evil as they were supposed to be they could have used the device that allowed the Hall of Doom to travel into another universe and escape, leaving the Superfriends and everybody else on the doomed Earth. Sinestro also had a way into the Anti-matter universe.
- Lex Luthor's origin is memory tape 1, Giganta's origin memory tape 13C, and the Legion of Doom's origin is tape 33R.
- The Hall of Doom's computer reveals that this was Superfriends attack plan 1566.
- The production numbers for this era of the Superfriends show was 128 which is used for the recap of events seen in previous episodes:
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series) Episode: History of Doom
- Episodes of Super Friends (TV Series)
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series)
- Gallery for the Super Friends (TV Series) series
Links and References