"Superboy's Darkest Secret!": Superboy receives a radio message which comes from a recording made by his father Jor-El. He gets a fix on its location in outer space, discovers the bodies of his parents, Jor-El and Lara, in a floating space-capsule “coffin” radiating Green Kryptonite rays. A Kryp
Appearing in "Superboy's Darkest Secret!"
- Kryptonians (Dies in flashback)
- Council of Science (Dies in flashback)
- Kryptonopolis (Flashback only)
- Automatic Radio-Location Finder
- Automatic Space-Transmission Scanner
- Cryogenic-Capsules (Flashback and main story)
- Endless-Tape (Flashback and main story)
- Hyper-Nuclear Space-Mines (Flashback and main story)
- Krylogas (Mentioned only)
- Kryptonite Radiation (Flashback and main story)
- Retro-Jet Pack
- Transmitter-Compartment (Flashback and main story)
- Atomic-Powered Mole (Flashback only)
- Kryptonian Rockets (Flashback and main story)
Synopsis for "Superboy's Darkest Secret!"
Superboy receives a radio message which comes from a recording made by his father Jor-El. He gets a fix on its location in outer space, discovers the bodies of his parents, Jor-El and Lara, in a floating space-capsule “coffin” radiating Green Kryptonite rays. A Kryptonian villain named Xonar, formerly Khai-Zor, an enemy of Jor-El's, almost knocks him into the Kryptonite with shaped charges, but another Kryptonian, Dr. Krylo, rescues him.
Krylo explains that he had believed Jor-El's prophecies of doom for Krypton, developed a form of suspended animation which he hoped would preserve himself and Jor-El's family in space “coffins” to be flung into space by the explosion, with tape-recorded instructions on revival procedures included.
After Kal-El's rocket was sent into space and Jor-El finished his last journal entry, Krylo ray-gunned both Jor-El and Lara down, subjected them to suspended animation treatment, and placed them in a space capsule equipped with a taped message for Kal-El, to be activated when he came of age. Seconds later, Krylo's robots did the same procedure for him and placed him in another space capsule. Both capsules were rocketed into space only minutes before Krypton exploded.
Both capsules were found by Xonar, formerly Khai-Zor, whose partner Val-Arn had perished in the cataclysm; Xonar himself survived Krypton's destruction in a rocket he had built similar to Jor-El's plans. Xonar revived Krylo and used the taped message of Jor-El's to lure Superboy, son of his old enemy, into a trap.
In the conflict that follows, both Xonar and Krylo die, but Superboy manages to get Jor-El's and Lara's capsule back to Earth with the help of a space-suited Jonathan Kent.
But Jor-El's tape is activated shortly thereafter and plays all the way through. The voice of Jor-El tells his son and his son's foster father that Jor-El had been irradiated with killing radiation while on an expedition into Krypton's interior, which radiation he passed along to Lara, inadvertently, but not to Kal-El. Since the incurable radiation would doom them both to a slow, lingering, painful death if they were revived, Jor-El asks that Superboy leave them both lifeless in space, should Krylo achieve his objective of preserving them against his will. Sadly, Superboy and Jonathan Kent return the capsules to outer space.
- The Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Compendium established that the entire issue detailed events that took place on Earth-Thirty-Two.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superboy Vol 1 158 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superboy series
- Images from Superboy Vol 1 158
Links and References
- No external links.
This comic page is missing characters!
This comic page is missing one or more character, location or item appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the comic issue template.