|Real Name||Kara Zor-El|
|Aliases||Linda Lee Danvers; Superwoman|
|Relatives||Zor-El, (father, deceased); Allura, (mother, deceased); Jor-El, (uncle, deceased); Lara Lor-Van, (aunt, deceased); Kal-El (Earth-One), cousin. Fred Danvers (foster-father); Edna Danvers (foster-mother); (See House of El for a listing of Supergirl's extended Kryptonian family)|
|Affiliation||Legion of Super-Heroes|
|Base Of Operations||Argo City; Midvale Orphanage; San Francisco; Florida; New York City; Chicago|
|Place of Birth||Argo City|
|Place of Death||Antimatter Universe|
|Creators||Otto Binder, Al Plastino|
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
Kara Zor-El was the last survivor of Argo City of the planet Krypton which had survived the explosion of the planet and had drifted through space. When the soil of the colony was turned into Kryptonite, lead sheeting was placed on the ground. But meteorites pierced the sheeting and the Kryptonians began to die of radiation poisoning.
Kara was sent to Earth by her parents Zor-El and Allura to be raised by her cousin Kal-El, known as Superman. So Superman would know Kara was his cousin, her parents provided a costume based closely on the Man of Steel's. Upon meeting Kara (who had begun to display powers similar to those of Kal-El), Superman decided she would become his secret weapon, and explained that her presence on Earth must be kept confidential while he trained Kara in the use of her new powers.
Kara adopted the identity of Linda Lee, an orphan at Midvale Orphanage, hiding her blonde locks beneath a brunette wig. During this period and for two full years, Linda interacted with humans mainly on a person-to-person basis performing good super-deeds on a save-the-world one at a time ratio, using clever schemes while trying to avoid becoming adopted before her time came. A distant precursor for her worldwide -- even galaxy-wide-- fame that was to come soon. Travel to other times or worlds came easy, since it permitted her to be openly seen then. As Superman's confidence in Kara grew, he put her through a test which resulted in her temporary exile from Earth. Through a string of circumstances, she came to learn Superman's dual identity, but proved worthy of the name Supergirl by keeping Clark's private life a secret. Shortly thereafter, Superman publicly unveiled his cousin to the world.
While temporarily un-powered due to the scheming of Kandorian scientist Lesla-Lar who was out to supplant her on Earth, Linda allowed herself to be adopted by engineer and rocket scientist Fred Danvers and Edna Danvers his wife. She revealed her secret identity to both on the same day her cousin Superman finally introduced her to an unsuspecting world.
Changing her name to Linda Lee Danvers (later known as just Linda Danvers), she became a student at Midvale High School, from where she graduated in time (1965). During this period she befriended Lex Luthor´s telepathic sister Lena Thorul who became a helper and confident to both her secret identities apart until she married. In 1966, Linda went on to study an unrevealed BA in Stanhope College until she graduated there in 1971. She even gained Streaky, a pet cat that also possessed superpowers, an equine companion named "Comet" was a magical superpowered pet once described by Superman as "the mightiest Super-Creature on Earth" and joined the Legion of Super-Heroes. Comet the Superhorse became her inseparable companion awhile who was secretly in love with Kara and could romance her while he became human whenever a real Comet passed near Earth, in accordance with Circe's hex. His invulnerability to Kryptonite allowed Supergirl to be saved many times. But both grew distant when she went on to college.
When dreams about her Kryptonian parents Zor-El and Allura being still alive alerted her, she built a machine and brought both back safely from the Survival Zone (where they had teleported during Argo's final moments) with the help of her adopted father's engineering talent. Eventually, they settled in Kandor, and when the city in the bottle was enlarged they lived on Rokyn.
Always popular with boys and fond of romances, Kara enjoyed many boyfriend-girlfriend relationships, like her Midvale orphanage friend Richard (Dick) Malverne, her merboy friend from Atlantis Jerro , and the many-time leader of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Brainiac 5, but she always shunned a serious commitment that would translate into marriage, putting her super-career first.
After a stint as an anchorwoman for KSF-TV in San Francisco, and another as graduate student in drama at Vandyre College nearby, Supergirl began to try and establish her own identity and experimented with a wide variety of costume and hairstyle changes; her best-known outfit from this era was a blue v-necked sweater with a small S insignia over her heart, and red hot-pants. While remaining independent from Superman, Kara maintained close ties with her cousin, while handling a succession of short timed jobs like student adviser at New Athens Experimental School in Florida, and soap-opera star in "Secret Hearts" TV series.
When a cosmic event threatened to destroy the universe (and all of its parallel realities), all of Earth's heroes answered the call. And when Superman was about to be destroyed, Kara sacrificed herself to save him. Superman later learned that Kara had been granted a premonition about her own passing.
But sadly, when the universe was rebooted, time had been altered and Kara was erased from existence. No one even knew that she had died.
Despite nobody then remembering her life in materiality´s plane of existence, the soul of Kara made a later appearance. Boston "Deadman" Brand tries to feel the warmth of Christmas by possessing revelers' bodies. Experiencing guilt upon realizing that he has been stealing others' emotions, he flies off, feeling sorry for himself for being denied any reward for a year filled with helping people. A warmly-dressed blonde woman approaches Brand, startling him. She can see the normally-invisible Brand, converses with him, and ultimately reminds him: "We don't do it for the glory. We don't do it for the recognition... We do it because it needs to be done. Because if we don't, no one else will. And we do it even if no one knows what we've done. Even if no one knows we exist. Even if no one remembers we ever existed". The woman reminds Brand that even though he is dead, he is still human, and he should rejoice because it means his spirit is still alive. As she leaves, Brand asks her who she is, to which she replies, "My name is Kara. Though I doubt that will mean anything to you".
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, The average Kryptonian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of their super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Their biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and their bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kryptonians can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. Typically, the power is seen as two beams of red light emanating from the eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing the power to be undetectable. The maximum temperature of their heat vision is said to be around that of a nuclear detonation. They can also consciously determine the area affected, down to the microscopic level.
- Super-Hearing: Kryptonian hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill, practice, and concentration, they can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. As such, they can identify a person by their heartbeat, or pick out a single voice in an entire city.
- Enhanced Vision Kryptonian vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kryptonians can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows them to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kryptonians can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. They can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. this ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kryptonians can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kryptonians are able to manipulate graviton particles, in an unknown and apparently unconscious manner, to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, they are capable of speeds of multi-Mach speeds in Earth's atmosphere. Their control of their flight is very precise and they can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.
- Invulnerability: The bodies of Kryptonians are nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, their immune systems protects them from toxins and diseases. The most common explanations for this rely on the presences of a super-dense molecular structure, a supercharged bio-electric aura which acts as an invisible force field, or a combination of the two. With the aura, it is presumed to extend a few millimeters from the skin as well as within the body. A byproduct of the aura is that items close to the skin share their invulnerability. Using clothing as an example, loose fitting fabric would tend to shred or burn in adverse conditions, but skin tight outfits would not.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kryptonians have the ability to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. In theory they have unlimited stamina as their enhanced nourishment is produced from the yellow solar energy their cells process, which also provides the majority of the power for their superhuman abilities. However, their base physical structures do need to process food stuffs and they have a psychological need to eat and drink just as Earth humans do. They also require sleep on occasion so that they can dream. They can also hold their breath for an indefinite period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: A Kryptonian develops enhanced physical strength after absorbing a sufficient amount of yellow solar radiation. This radiation interacts with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of their musculature to trigger superhuman levels. While the exact magnitude of their strength is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is sufficient to lift 100,000 tons or more. The specific range is unknown as a their strength, like their other powers, may fluctuate over time. Their strength is also more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables them to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass. At full power, their normal strength levels are well into the multi-megaton range.
- Superhuman Speed: Kryptonians are able to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. They can match most other speedsters in super-fast movements, reactions, and processes. They can use this power to disarm opponents without heightened reflexes, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kryptonians are able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from their lungs. They can chill the air as it leaves their lungs to freeze targets in a variation sometimes called "freeze" or "arctic breath". They can also reverse the process and pull large volumes of air or vapor into their lungs.
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Magic
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Lead: Supergirl cannot see through lead with her vision powers.
- Solar Energy: Supergirl will eventually weaken without replenishing her energy reserves with normal (yellow) sun radiation.
- Vulnerability to Red Sunlight: She is not replenished by red sunlight, and its radiation can be used to weaken her.
- Vulnerability to Red Sunlight: She is not replenished by red sunlight, and its radiation can be used to weaken her.
- Supergirl's existence is exclusive to the continuity of Earth-One. Following the Crisis on Infinite Earths event, the Multiverse collapsed upon itself and a new singular history was created starting with the formation of the Big Bang. In this rebooted continuity, Kara Zor-El did not arrive on Earth until some ten/twelve years after the establishment of mainstay heroes such as Superman and Batman. The personality and history of the Pre-Crisis Supergirl is considered apocryphal by modern storytelling standards, although some characters such as the late Psycho-Pirate and Power Girl have memories of the Pre-Crisis Kara Zor-El.
- Supergirl once owned an orange house cat named Streaky. Streaky was accidentally exposed to X-Kryptonite and gained super-powers for brief periods of time. Although super-powered, Streaky was still prone to typical feline behavior, such as using steel street lamps as scratching posts.
- Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) and Supergirl's were best friends and they shared many adventures together. Barbara delivered the eulogy at Supergirl's funeral which was seen worldwide.
- Supergirl is also known as the Girl of Steel, the Maid of Might, the Princess of Power, Mighty Maid.
- Supergirl has studied at Stanhope University, the New Athens Experimental School and Vandyre College.
- Action Comics
- Adventure Comics
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman Family
- 507 Appearances of Kara Zor-El (Earth-One)
- 35 Images featuring Kara Zor-El (Earth-One)
- 19 Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El (Earth-One)
- Supergirl at dccomics.com
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at the Guide to the Mythological Universe
- Supergirl movie info
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
Superman Family member
Legion of Super-Heroes member