"Trail of the Madman!": Supergirl flies to San Francisco where she enrolls at Vandyre University. She meets several students including her mysterious roomate, an elusive woman named Wanda Five.
- Great Krypton! In a million years I never would've guessed...that the mystery miss is my own roomate -- Wanda Five!
- -- Supergirl
Appearing in "Trail of the Madman!"
- Wanda Five (First appearance) (Supergirl's roomate)
- Basil Rasloff (a theatrical director)
- Aunt Rosie (a dorm marm)
- Dean Madison (University Dean)
- Frank Morris (a theater student)
- Michael Heimes (a theater student)
- Ron Buxton (a theater student)
- Sheila Wong (a sorority girl)
- Terri Blake (First appearance) (a sorority girl)
Synopsis for "Trail of the Madman!"
Supergirl flies to San Francisco where she enrolls at Vandyre University. She meets several students including her mysterious roomate, an elusive woman named Wanda Five.
While patrolling the campus in her guise as Linda Danvers, she discovers that a theater student named Ron Buxton has been murdered. She consults with a drama instructor named Basil Rasloff, a former movie star. While investigating Buxton’s death, she begins to suspect that Wanda Five may have some insight into the murder.
She eventually tracks Wanda down and discovers that Wanda is clairvoyant. She knew that Ron was going to be killed, but could not identify his killer. Wanda has another vision wherein she sees two more students being murdered. Supergirl flies off, but she is too late to prevent Michael Heimes from suffering a grizzly fate.
Soon after, she learns that Basil Rasloff, the drama teacher, is responsible for the murders. His victims were students who had agreed to play parts in theatrical remakes of his old movies. Feeling as if they were tarnishing his tradition, he decided to eliminate them. She saves a boy named Frank Morris from becoming Rasloff’s next victim and apprehends the murderer.
Appearing in "Castle in the Clouds"
Synopsis for "Castle in the Clouds"
Jeff Sloane steps into the lower sanctum of Shadowcrest, where he finds his girl friend, Zatanna, in a meditative state. She is sitting before an open portal into another world. Jeff steps in front of the portal to observe it, and finds himself instantly pulled in.
As he picks himself up, he discovers that he is now trapped inside of a medeival reality with knights on horseback ready to run him through. Jeff seeks shelter inside of a cottage, but the knights put it to the torch. He manages to escape from the burning abode, just as Zatanna enters the realm.
Zatanna uses her magic to put out the fires and she locates Jeff surrounded in the dungeon of the building by demons and monsters. Using her magic, Zatanna stops the monsters and creates a spell to return them both back to her sanctum at Shadowcrest. Zatanna tells Jeff that he was in the legendary realm of Camelot and that the soldiers who were attacking him were Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain. Further, the cottage he sought shelter in had belonged to the infamous wizard known as Merlin.
- This book was first published on September 19, 1972.
- No special notes.
- The character of Basil Rasloff is an uncomplimentary homage to the late silver screen actors Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff.
- Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain from the Castle in the Clouds are the names of actual knights of Camelot according to Arthurian lore. They are also the names of characters featured in the 1982 limited series, Camelot 3000.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Supergirl Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Supergirl series
- Images from Supergirl Vol 1 1