"Trail of the Madman!": Linda Danvers has quit her job at KSF-TV and enrolled at Vandyre University to take acting classes. As moving in her new dorm, she finds she has a new roommate: a strange girl called Wanda Five.
Appearing in "Trail of the Madman!"
- Wanda Five (First appearance) (Supergirl's roomate)
- Basil Rasloff (a theatrical director)
- Aunt Rosie (a dorm marm)
- Dean Madison (University Dean)
- Frank Morris (a theater student)
- Michael Heimes (a theater student)
- Ron Buxton (a theater student)
- Sheila Wong (a sorority girl)
- Terri Blake (First appearance) (a sorority girl)
Synopsis for "Trail of the Madman!"
Linda Danvers has quit her job at KSF-TV and enrolled at Vandyre University to take acting classes. As moving in her new dorm, she finds she has a new roommate: a strange girl called Wanda Five. Her name is weird and she owns sculptures made of alien materials. Linda feels intrigued.
Linda heads to the School of Drama to register, but she she discovers that a theater student named Ron Buxton has been murdered. The police turns up and questions Linda, several students and a drama instructor named Basil Rasloff, a former movie star. No one appears to know anything, but Linda remembers she saw a girl rushing out of the building before.
Linda changes into Supergirl and as investigating the murder of Buxton, Supergirl discovers that mysterious girl is her roommate Wanda. After following a false lead, Supergirl tracks Wanda down and discovers that Wanda is clairvoyant. She knew that Ron was going to be killed, but could not identify his killer. Wanda has another vision wherein she sees two more students being murdered. Supergirl flies off, but she is too late to prevent Michael Heimes from suffering a grizzly fate.
Soon after, Supergirl deduces that Basil Rasloff, the drama teacher, is responsible for the murders. His victims were students who had agreed to play parts in theatrical remakes of his old movies. Feeling as if they were tarnishing his tradition, he decided to eliminate them.
Supergirl saves a boy named Frank Morris from becoming Rasloff's next victim and apprehends the murderer.
Afterwards she meets several more students, but she can't help but wondering who is Wanda and where she came from.
Appearing in "Castle in the Clouds"
Synopsis for "Castle in the Clouds"
Jeff Sloane steps into the lower sanctum of Shadowcrest, where he finds his girl friend, Zatanna, in a meditative state. She is sitting before an open portal into another world. Jeff steps in front of the portal to observe it, and finds himself instantly pulled in.
As he picks himself up, he discovers that he is now trapped inside of a medieval reality with knights on horseback ready to run him through. Jeff seeks shelter inside of a cottage, but the knights put it to the torch. He manages to escape from the burning abode, just as Zatanna enters the realm.
Zatanna uses her magic to put out the fires and she locates Jeff surrounded in the dungeon of the building by demons and monsters. Using her magic, Zatanna stops the monsters and creates a spell to return them both back to her sanctum at Shadowcrest. Zatanna tells Jeff that he was in the legendary realm of Camelot and that the soldiers who were attacking him were Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain. Further, the cottage he sought shelter in had belonged to the infamous wizard known as Merlin.
- This book was first published on September 19, 1972.
- Linda Danvers quit her job at Adventure Comics #424
- The character of Basil Rasloff is an uncomplimentary homage to the late silver screen actors Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff.
- Sir Lancelot and Sir Gawain from the Castle in the Clouds are the names of actual knights of Camelot according to Arthurian lore. They are also the names of characters featured in the 1982 limited series, Camelot 3000.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Supergirl Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Supergirl series
- Images from Supergirl Vol 1 1