"Candor, Part I of III": On the world of Kandor, the ruling elite is governed by the Kryptonians and their lord Kal-El. The underclass is populated by alien cultures from varying worlds who live under the brutal thumb of Kal-El's dictatorshi
- Begging? Would begging have saved me? No? Then why should it save you?
- -- Flamebird
Appearing in "Candor, Part I of III"
- Kandor (false reality)
Synopsis for "Candor, Part I of III"
On the world of Kandor, the ruling elite is governed by the Kryptonians and their lord Kal-El. The underclass is populated by alien cultures from varying worlds who live under the brutal thumb of Kal-El's dictatorship. The underclass of Kandor are not without a voice however. Two masked super-heroes known as Flamebird and Nightwing safeguard the denizens of Kandor from Kal-El's praisesingers.
Flamebird is actually Kara Zor-El, aka, Supergirl and her partner Nightwing is actually her parallel world counterpart Power Girl. Flamebird visits the tattoo parlor of an artist named Chezzt and has a Kryptonian holy symbol tattooed upon her back. As she leaves the parlor, a group of aliens accost her, ready to prove their might by taking out one of the "saved" Kryptonians. Flamebird is more than able to handle these thugs, but Nightwing flies in and prevents her from killing them.
Flamebird and Nightwing briefly begin fighting one another, but as tempers cool, they head back to their headquarters. They talk to one another about the political strife on Kandor and how Kal-El's forces have basically enslaved anyone who was not a true Kryptonian. In their masked identities, Flamebird and Nightwing are able to serve as heroes to the resistance, without revealing their own Kryptonian origins.
Kal-El scours the city looking for the two vigilantes. He incites his followers to his side, declaring that only true Kryptonians are worthy of Heaven, while those without the benefit of Kryptonian blood shall suffer damnation. One of Kal-El's Cherishers informs him that he has seen Flamebird, and has identified the Kryptonian holy symbol upon her back. Kal-El now realizes that Flamebird and Nightwing are Kryptonian. To keep this secret from reaching the public, Kal-El kills all of the Cherishers who paid witness to the event. Kal-El makes a declaration that he will seek out and destroy the heretics at all costs.
- This book was first published on May 3, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Supergirl: Candor trade paperback.
- Chronologically, this issue is part of the One Year Later mini-event, but does not carry the One Year Later logo on the cover.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Supergirl Vol 5 6 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Supergirl series
- Images from Supergirl Vol 5 6
Links and References
- Supergirl article at Wikipedia
- Supergirl (Volume 5) series index at DCU Guide
- Supergirl (Volume 5) series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Supergirl (Volume 5) series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
The events from this issue take place one year after the events of the 2006 limited series Infinite Crisis. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: 1 Year Later Crossover.