"Lois Lane's Kiss of Death": Three conmen named James Paxton, Jed Blanton and Pete Malloy decide to falsify their own deaths. In order to allay suspicion, they engage upon an intricate plot in the hopes of perpetuating rumors of a "Death Curse".
Appearing in "Lois Lane's Kiss of Death"
- James Paxton (Single appearance)
- Jed Blanton (Single appearance)
- Pete Malloy (Single appearance)
- Joe (Single appearance)
- Queen Isis (Mentioned only)
- Skipper (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Lois Lane's Kiss of Death"
Three conmen named James Paxton, Jed Blanton and Pete Malloy decide to falsify their own deaths. In order to allay suspicion, they engage upon an intricate plot in the hopes of perpetuating rumors of a "Death Curse".
Lois Lane is drawn into the web of intrigue, and through the criminals' manipulations, she begins to believe that she has a kiss of death. The first incident takes place shortly after Lois kisses a dog. The dog runs out into the street only to be run over by a passing car. Several citizens witness the event and begin to believe that Lois truly is curse.
She comes upon James Paxton, unaware of his involvement in the scheme, and kisses him. James falls dead away – or so he would have Lois believe. She then meets Pete Malloy and kisses him yielding the same results.
Superman shows up and promises to put an end to this strange mystery. Lois kisses him, and suddenly Superman begins to fall ill. Moments later, a second Superman arrives and exposes the first Superman as a third conman named Jed Blanton. He further reveals that Paxton and Malloy are not truly dead and the three criminals are apprehended.
Appearing in "When Lois Lane Forgot Superman"
- Killer King (Single appearance)
- Hyman Zweikopfen (Single appearance)
- Sheriff (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "When Lois Lane Forgot Superman"
Lois Lane decides to forego all of her efforts to make Superman fall in love with her. Unwilling to deal with such painful emotions, she consults a hypnotist named Dr. Hyman Zweikopfen. Zweikopfen places her in a trance and removes all affection for Superman from Lois’ subconscious mine.
Lois returns to the Daily Planet and discovers that she is now developing feelings for Clark Kent. Clark doesn't want to win Lois' heart under such conditions, so he tries to brush her off. When his shy demeanor fails to halt Lois' advances, he decides to act brash and belligerent. Even this fails to dissuade her however. Finally, he decides to reveal his secret identity as Superman. The experience shocks Lois' memory and she suddenly forgets everything that has happened to her – including the effects of Dr. Zweikopfen's hypnosis.
Appearing in "The Girl Who Stole Superman"
- Superboy (Flashback only)
- Daily Planet
- Smallville (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Girl Who Stole Superman"
Lana Lang travels from Smallville to Metropolis looking for work. Lois Lane offers to help her out, and sets her up in a position at the Daily Planet. She further allows Lana to stay with her at her apartment. Lois notices that Lana possesses a ring that Superman gave to her years ago when he operated under the guise of Superboy. Lois' feelings of inadequacy rise once again, and she finds herself competing for Superman's affections.
Superman discovers Lois' dilemma and provides her with a ring. Lana meanwhile, still harbors feelings for the Man of Steel herself, and commits random acts designed to sabotage Lois and Superman's relationship. In a rage, Lois throws away her new ring.
Lois later learns that her current rivalry with Lana is actually part of a ploy wrought by Superman. Superman discovered that the ring he had given to Lois was having adverse effects on his x-ray vision and conspired with Lana in a plan to get Lois to remove it.
- This issue is reprinted in Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane Archives Vol. 1.
- "Lois Lane's Kiss of Death" was reprinted in Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane Annual #2.
- "The Girl Who Stole Superman" was reprinted in 80-Page Giant #3.
- No writing credit is given to the author of any of the stories in this issue.
- Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White and Superman all appeared last in the third story in Superman (Volume 1) #127. Lois, Perry and Superman appear next in the second story in this issue. Jimmy appears next in Action Comics #249.
- This issue is not the last time that Lois will discover and quickly forget Superman's secret identity. In the movie, Superman II, Clark allows Lois to discover his alter ego, but later uses a super-kiss to remove the memory from her mind. He performs a similar feat in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace when he brazenly exposes himself before Lois, only to steal her memory with another hypnotic kiss moments later.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane series
Links and References
- Lois Lane article at Wikipedia
- Lois Lane article at Supermanica
- Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Lois Lane series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics