Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Boy of 100 Faces": Jimmy Olsen investigates a gang of jewel thieves led by a criminal named Deuce Dorgan. He suspects Dorgan's crew of robbing the infamous Vickers jewels, but as of yet, he has no solid evidence against them. First, Jimmy disguises himself as an
- I can always get help with my secret Superman signal, hidden in this wristwatch!
- -- Jimmy Olsen
Appearing in "The Boy of 100 Faces"
- Bozo Bane (Single appearance)
- Deuce Dorgan (Single appearance)
- Marty Watson (Single appearance)
- Daily Planet
- Gem Lake
- Deuce Dorgan's Hideout
- Jimmy Olsen's Signal Watch
- Fountain Pen Air-Gun
Synopsis for "The Boy of 100 Faces"
Jimmy Olsen investigates a gang of jewel thieves led by a criminal named Deuce Dorgan. He suspects Dorgan's crew of robbing the infamous Vickers jewels, but as of yet, he has no solid evidence against them. First, Jimmy disguises himself as an ice-cream vendor in the hopes of eavesdropping on two of Deuce's goons. Although the thugs do not ferret out Jimmy's disguise, they abruptly brush him off.
Later, Jimmy has Jumbo Jones, pilot of the Daily Planet's flying newsroom, transport him to Gem Lake where he knows that Deuce and his men have been hiding out. He disguises himself as a dish washing appliance salesman and infiltrates Deuce's hideout. Before long however, the thugs begin to suspect that Jimmy is up to no good. They find Jumbo Jones and apprehend both of the Daily Planet employees. They tie them to the posts of the fishing dock and wait for the tide to drown them.
Jimmy manages to free one of his hands and transmits an emergency S.O.S. to Superman by way of his special signal wristwatch. Superman flies down and helps to rescue the two sleuths, before rounding up Deuce Dorgan and his gang. Jimmy discovers that Deuce concealed the Vickers jewels inside of the fishing pond and with the unknowing aid of Superman, manages to recover them.
Appearing in "Case of the Lumberjack Jinx"
- Mister Meredith (Single appearance)
- Otis Burton (Single appearance)
- Daily Planet
- Meredith Lumber Camp
Synopsis for "Case of the Lumberjack Jinx"
Paul Meredith is the owner of a lumber mill in the Northwestern woods of Metropolis. His mill supplies the Daily Planet with its stock of pulp material used for newsprint. Paul telephones Perry White and informs him of several strange acts of sabotage that have been taking place at the mill. Perry tells him that he is going to send someone over to check it out.
Perry has cub reporter Jimmy Olsen undergo the alias of Jimmy Wayne, and sends him off to the Meredith Lumber Camp as a hired hand. Paul Meredith greets him and tells Jimmy that his lumberyard is jinxed. As Jimmy Wayne, he begins investigating the forest areas and begins to suspect a local competitor named Otis Burton as a suspect. He comes upon a man sabotaging some of the trees with beetle blight and begins to chase him. When things begin to look hairy for Jimmy, he signals Superman on his S.O.S. signal-watch. Superman arrives to lend a hand, but Jimmy discovers on his own the true nature of the jinx. Paul Meredith had hired the underling to sabotage his own camp so that he could blame it on Otis Burton thus driving his competitor out of business. Jimmy exposes Meredith's scheme and the corrupt businessman is apprehended.
Appearing in "The Man of Steel's Substitute"
- Andrew Carlton (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Man of Steel's Substitute"
While Superman flies off to the alps in response to an emergency, Jimmy Olsen intercepts various telephone calls from those in need of Superman's help. A construction foreman named Andrew Carlton calls Jimmy and informs him that his work crew may have intercepted a shipment of defective steel girders. They require Superman's x-ray vision to analyze the supply so that they may continue with their bridge construction project without fear.
Unable to contact Superman, Jimmy Olsen gathers various props together including a spare Superman costume, an inflatable likeness of the Man of Steel and several voice recordings. He drives out to the bridge construction project and fools the impatient workers into believing that Superman is in the area. Several of the props fail however, and before long, the irate laborers discover that Superman's presence is nothing more than an elaborate charade.
As Jimmy Olsen begins to run away in fear, the real Superman reveals himself. Superman had disguised himself as one of the construction workers in order to gauge how far Jimmy would be willing to go in order to maintain the workers' faith in Superman's presence. Superman analyzes the defective iron beams and warns the crew about which shipments they should avoid.
- This issue is reprinted in Millennium Edition: Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #1 and in black and white in Showcase Presents: Superman Family Vol. 1.
- Jimmy Olsen appeared last in Action Comics #195. He appears next in Superman (Volume 1) #92 following the third story in this issue.
- First appearance of Jumbo Jones. Jumbo appears next in the second story in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #2
- Perry White appeared last in Action Comics #195. He appears next in Superman (Volume 1) #92 following the third story in this issue.
- Superman appeared last in Action Comics #195. He appears next in Superman (Volume 1) #92 following the third story in this issue.
- The introductory panel to "The Man of Steel's Substitute" features a grizzly bear on its hind legs, preparing to maul Jimmy. However, the bear never actually makes an appearance in the corresponding story.
- In this issue, Jimmy Olsen disguises himself as an ice-cream vendor and a Barton Brush salesman.
- In "Case of the Lumberjack Jinx", Jimmy employs the alias of Jimmy Wayne.
- In "The Man of Steel's Substitute", Jimmy Olsen disguises himself as Superman.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen series
Links and References
- Jimmy Olsen article at Wikipedia
- Jimmy Olsen article at Supermanica
- Jimmy Olsen series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Jimmy Olsen series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics