Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Superman Book That Couldn't Be Finished": While visiting a publisher of a successful book company, Jimmy Olsen gets the idea to write a book about himself and Superman in various adventures. However, this proves to be easier said than done, as Jimmy tends to write himself into a dead-end ea
- It's me or Krypto, Jimmy! Are you going to be my pall... or Superdog's pal?
- -- Superman
Appearing in "The Superman Book That Couldn't Be Finished"
- Black Knight (as an illusion only)
- Delilah (as an illusion only)
- Dragon (as an illusion only)
- Nemean Lion (as an illusion only)
- Professor Baxter (as an illusion only)
- Achilles (as an illusion only)
- Atlas (as an illusion only)
- Hercules (as an illusion only)
- Merlin (as an illusion only)
- Metropolis Police Department (as an illusion only)
- Samson (as an illusion only)
- Greece (as an illusion only)
- Nemea (as an illusion only)
- United Kingdom (as an illusion only)
Synopsis for "The Superman Book That Couldn't Be Finished"
While visiting a publisher of a successful book company, Jimmy Olsen gets the idea to write a book about himself and Superman in various adventures. However, this proves to be easier said than done, as Jimmy tends to write himself into a dead-end each time. His first tale ends with Superman saving Jimmy from an atomic blast, but the entire world gets wiped out, leaving them with no crimes to fight. The second story finds Jimmy transported to Camelot where he teams up with Merlin who gains powers just like Superman, but he scraps that story as well because he cannot find a place to fit Superman in the story.
Further stories where Jimmy tries to find out Superman's secret identity, and another where Superman travels back in time and poses as historical strong men such as Hercules and Atlas also end up being equally as unsuccessful as story ideas. Completely stuck for ideas, Jimmy convinces Superman to take him to the future to the point where his story becomes a best seller, which appears to be the year 1959. Jimmy takes a copy of his book to the past so that he can use it to write the fated best seller.
Appearing in "Jimmy Olsen's Super Pet"
Synopsis for "Jimmy Olsen's Super Pet"
One day when Jimmy uses his signal watch to call Superman it summons Krypto instead, Superman's super-pet that has not been seen on Earth since Superman was a boy. Superman and Jimmy are happy to have the super-pet back, and it answers Jimmy's summons whenever he activates his signal watch. However, due to Krypto's age, the dog causes more harm than good when performing super-feats. Eventually Krypto causes enough trouble that Jimmy and Krypto are summoned to court.
There a judge uses his legal power to demand that Krypto be exiled from Earth, and Superman, by law is forced to comply. However, when Krypto ends up on a world with water laced with Kryptonite, drinking the water causes Krypto to become youthful and vital again, and returns to Earth once more a competent and capable super-pet. After playing with Superman and Jimmy, Krypto returns to outer space.
Appearing in "The Amazing Spectacles of Doctor X"
- Doctor X (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "The Amazing Spectacles of Doctor X"
Jimmy has found the secret hideout of Dr. X a criminal inventor, however as luck would have it the police arrive having learned it's location when Dr. X died in a plane crash and are cordoning off the area. To avoid getting in trouble, Jimmy slips on a pair of shades from the doctors secret lab and manages to slip away.
Jimmy soon learns that the glasses allow him to see in the future, he witnesses an instance when Superman's aid in building a building is marred by Kryptonite, a moment where a city worker may stumble upon Superman's secret identity, and finally what appears to be Jimmy suffering a drowning death while on a fishing trip. Jimmy manages to prevent the first two disasters, and not taking any risks he writes a will before trying to prevent fate a third time.
However, while at the lake, Jimmy is visited by Superman, the Man of Steel asks Jimmy to help him out for an educational film on water safety and that what he witnessed was the shooting of the film. Taken to the set, Jimmy realizes that he lost the future goggles, and decides that he's better off without knowing what the future has in store for him.
- "The Superman Book That Couldn't Be Finished" is not an Imaginary Story, but Jimmy Olsen's tales in the story are very similar in function to Imaginary Stories, so this story is often considered an "honorary" Imaginary Story.
- This issue provides the first appearance of Krypto as an adult dog.
- This issue also contains the following humor/filler pages:
- Fun Shop
- Play 100
- Gag Bag
- Little Pete
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen Vol 1 29 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen series
Links and References
- Jimmy Olsen article at Wikipedia
- Jimmy Olsen article at Supermanica
- Jimmy Olsen series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Jimmy Olsen series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics